•Scene 3•

"You made quite the spectacle of yourself last night. What of our plan?"

The Count of Valorieve gave his back to his son as he watched the lively streets of the crown city from his window. News of Minho's actions reached him almost immediately, through both informants and senseless gossip.

The young Lord stole the Crown Prince's bride.

"Worry not, father," Minho said. "We made a deal. Our plan will proceed even more smoothly now."

To bring a person so closely affiliated with the Crown Prince into the estate was a risk even he would hesitate before taking, but the Count trusted his heir. If he had determined that this was an advantageous move, then so be it.

"And if the girl proves to be a problem?"

Minho did not spare a breath. "She will be eliminated."

The Count said nothing more, satisfied with his answer. If the Lady of Lurmuse was indeed a spy sent by the royal family, then she could be of no use to them dead. Besides, he would easily be able to monitor her actions at the estate.

With a sigh, he turned around to look at his son. He was the heir of a fiefdom that spanned over a quarter of the kingdom's land. A young man with a tremendous responsibility that could only be mellowed out by his greater ambitions.

The Count had raised him well, yet he could not stop his brows from furrowing in fatherly concern. "I know I was imploring you to get married, but this feels rather hasty."

"I do not regret my decision," Minho answered him, resolute in the square set of his shoulders.

"Besides, I saw an opportunity in this," he confessed when his father remained quiet, "to quell your urging, expand our territory, and finally achieve our goal. Lady Lurmuse is the heir of the Lurmuse fiefdom, is she not?"

"Yes, she is," the Count sighed. He was not surprised by his son's attitude—tackling this marriage as though it were a business deal with no regard for his own fulfillment.

Most unions among nobles were social and economic propositions after all, as much as the Count wished his son would not fall into the same trap.

He turned back to the window, waving him off. There was no use changing Minho's mind now. "Go on, then. You have a wedding to prepare for."

"