8. My Universe (Pavel Chekov)

(Published September 17, 2023) 

   It had been a whole week since Pavel Chekov had asked me to marry him.  A whole week of me hating myself because I didn't know how to answer.  I loved him more than anyone else in the cosmos!  But did I love him enough to spend my whole life with him?  He drove me crazy sometimes, like when he got really stressed or embarrassed.  It was in those moments that I wasn't quite sure who exactly he was.  He became a different person and I wasn't sure if that different person would fit well in my life.  Imagine how stressed he'd be on our wedding day!  I'd have to marry the stressed version of him that made me uncertain of everything we had together.  I wasn't sure if that was the best idea or not.  
   With a loud groan, I shoved my laundry into the washing machine with more force than necessary.  What was I going to do?  I couldn't avoid him for much longer and it wasn't fair to keep him waiting. 
   I thought back to his proposal.  He had set up a candle lit dinner in his room and played soft classical music in the background.  It was a good, large meal of steak and potatoes.  We had both been almost floating on air, happy as can be.  But then right after dessert, he went down on one knee and popped the question.  Stunned, I hadn't known what to say and I had ended up ruining a beautiful evening.  
   Groaning loudly again, I dragged my hands down my face as my eyes teared up.  
   'Yes or no; it's really not that complicated,' My brain insisted.  
   'You obviously don't know what complicated is,' I shot back silently.  
   I stared at the washer, listening to the thumping sound of the laundry spinning inside.  It spun like my mind.  What to answer?  What choice should I make?  How could I face him again without a decision?  
   Suddenly, a throat was cleared politely behind me.  I took a quick swipe at my eyes with my hands just in case and spun around.  My heart skipped a beat and then fluttered lovingly when my brain registered who it was.  It was the feeling I always got whenever I saw him.  
   "Pavel," I greeted thickly.  I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, hoping he hadn't noticed it in my voice. 
   "Hi.  I, um...  I found a song that I zought you might like," He said slowly.  
   "Oh?" It was the only word that would come out.  
   He nodded, holding out a small handheld device with earbuds attached to it.  "Will you listen?" 
   Reaching out, I took hold of the device.  Tucking the earbuds in my ears, I clicked the play button without looking at the title.  Seeing Pavel and knowing he wanted an answer but that he was too respectful to demand one was making me shaky.  I took a deep breath as the music started and words filled my head.  

"You-you are my universe and I-I just want to put you first

You-you are my universe and I..."

   The song continued on, the words starting out as English.  A sudden swap to Korean shocked me but also thrilled my heart, since it was my native language.  I listened closely to the words, my heart stuttering with each sweet phrase.  I risked a glance up at Pavel and found him watching me with hopeful eyes.  I smiled happily and nodded a little before closing my eyes to drink in the rest of the beautiful melody.  
   As the song came to a close, I opened my eyes again.  Taking the earbuds out, I handed him back the handheld and took another breath.  He seemed to take one at the same time.  He seemed as nervous as I felt and probably looked.  
   "It's a beautiful song," I assured him.  "I like the Korean in it." 
   "I had hoped you might," He smiled, dropping his gaze to his feet.  "It iz also how I feel about you, Binna."  
   My heart actually melted with those words.  Tears spilled over and I had to grab the washing machine to keep myself from tipping over.  His eyes got wide and he took a step forward with his hands out as if to catch me if I fell.  
   "Why are you so sweet to me?" I choked out.  "I doubt you and you're still here trying to cheer me up." 
   "Because I love you," He stated softly.  "I am here to help you whenever you need it.  I am here for you." 
   And with that, I broke down crying.  He closed the distance between us, pulling me into his arms.  I cried into his shoulder, clinging to him just like he was clinging to me.  After a few long, wet minutes, I finally swallowed my sobs and fell quiet.  He still held me close, one of his hands gently rubbed back and forth across my back in that comforting way he liked to do.  
   "I will marry you, Pavel," I managed to whisper.  "And I will do my best to cure all those doubts I had this past week." 
   He pulled back and lifted my chin so he could look at me.  With a small smile, he whispered back, "I will help you to cure them, mpya vselennaya" 
   "Thank you, nae se-gye."