𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝐓𝐇

four more days until thanksgiving. two more days until thanksgiving break.

my morning started off with an assembly planned by jessica. it was originally supposed to be an apology speech, but she wasn't going for it. if it meant she had to get suspended, its what she was going to do.

"have you seen clay?" justin asked me as he came up to my locker. he leaned against the locker next to mine and gave those stupid fucking puppy dog eyes.

i slammed my locker shut making him jump a bit. "no i havent seen clay." i said then walked off. before i could get far, i heard justin following me.

"so, i was thinking that-"

i quickly turned around and faced him. "justin. i don't have time to talk, i have to get to class."

he stood still and made a straight face. "fuck." he whispered under his breath.

i then headed to class.

scott and i had been texting and making plans for thanksgiving break. who said exes couldn't be friends?

he was invited to our family dinner, where all of my family would be.

the bell then rang for the assembly.

we all rushed to the gym and i sat next to tyler and jess' girls.

"hi." i said softly as i waved to him.

"listen, i think you're very brave for telling your story to jess. and today, i think you're even braver for standing up. i know i gave you a hard time back then and i'm sorry tyler. i never should've judged you before getting to know you."

"thanks maia." he smiled shortly and focused back on principal bolan.

"welcome everyone. and a very special welcome to our guests from hillcrest. we would like this to be a time to come together, the interruption of our homecoming game inflamed feelings on all sides."

i fiddled with my fingers majority of the time because i didnt know what people would think if i stood up as well.

there were things i didnt tell anyone. for one, i didnt want to take all of the spotlight off of jess or hannah.

"people need to be held responsible fir their mistakes, and after something traumatic happens its important to focus on healing. but the fact of the matter is, how is anyone supposed to heal if all we do is cover up the wounds and hope that they'll go away?" jess said.

"we have to look at them and recognize them for what they are. we have to be honest about who actually got hurt and how. the protest i led was an attempt to try to draw attention to the rape culture in boys sports and throughout our school. and yes, i think that the way i went about it wasn't perfect and im sorry how it ended up. but making mistakes is a part of being a survivor."

i looked around mainly trying to diverge my anxiety on to someones bad hair day.

"at first you think you're like, permanently broken but then, little by little, you start picking up the pieces an you start realizing what you're making is a mirror, and the more of those pieces you put together, the more you start to see yourself. but maybe, we start to pick those pieces of that mirror together, and we finally start to see the truth. if you think sexual assault doesn't affect your life, you're wrong."

"there are survivors, all around you. people you care about. people you never knew were suffering in silence. let them know that you're there to listen. its time for you to know the survivors in your life. to hear their voice and their story and know that they matter. my name is jessica davis, and i'm a survivor."