age old story

I felt my heart being pulled out from my chest as soon as the news kicked in. I can't even explain how I got here, the last 24 hours have been a total blur. I am fully aware I am not a young woman anymore, I can see the effects of time all over my face and body, but as I look at the mirror, I can't help but feel the weight of every single one of the years that have passed ever since I met him.

It was over 50 years ago, I had just started dating my dear Charles and we were talking about getting to met each others family. I was so worried about making a good first impression, I could never imagine that the bus driver who would take me home every single day would be his older brother.

I remember as if it was yesterday, that stupid man who would get every passenger inside the bus through yelling. I spent the whole drive home cursing that hideous man, and couldn't help to complain about him to my boyfriend. Oh boy, how shocked I got when he told me the new bus driver was Joseph, his older brother! I could've dropped dead right there.

The next time I saw Joseph, he presented himself and said we were going to se much more of each other. Of course, at the time I didn't know that hideous man was going to be the best friend I would ever have.

We would curse, laugh, drink and fight together. I met his wife and right there I thought I had met my family. At that time, it was just like we could rule the would. I was in love, had my best friends with me and was starting my own family, everything was great.

Of course, in 50 years, much can change. I moved cities with my husband and two beautiful children, we had difficult and marvelous times, and in every single ones it was sure to receive a call from Joseph, and we would talk about everything.

The years passed and I would start to receive more calls with news about people passing away rather than marring. We were getting old, and so were our family and friends.

Joseph was by my side when Charles passed, and I was by his side when his wife did. We had seen so many people die, we were the only two old fellas left.

And now I am getting ready to bury my best friend, to say my final goodbyes to the person who has been the one constant in my life ever since I can remember, and I don't know how to do it.

I find comfort in knowing he is reuniting with the family that he always held so dear to his heart, but can't help to resent him for going first.

I just hope that when my time is up, I can too be reunited with all the people I've lost.

Set/23