enemies that are lovers

Their families were enemies since way before their birth. They fought for many things over the years, but the fight settled over the mafia part in the last decade. Both Romeo and Juliet, only heirs from their respective families, Montagues and Capulets, were raised knowing very well that their goal in life would always be to win the eternal fight.

They never saw each other, not even a picture, but never put much thought into that fact 'cause knowing their weakness seemed to matter much more than their appearance.

One day, Romeo was pissed. His family didn't understand the importance of expanding the business and going back to legal deals to hide the illegal ones. He just needed to get off and be alone for once.

Meanwhile, Juliet was seated alone in a bar that was so close to Montague's territory that the odds of being disturbed by one of her family members were so low that she felt like breathing again.

When her father died she knew damn well that her uncles would try to marry her to one of their pawns. Luckily, her father had taught her well. She had accepted that her marriage would be for political reasons rather than true love, but it would be for her benefit, not for her uncles, which wasn't the case at the moment. For it, she needed a drink.

When Romeo enters the bar and takes his seat by Juliet's side, they don't look at each other. They don't look at each other when the barman asks for their order, nor while they drink, and it isn't until Juliet needs to use the toilet that Romeo notices the beautiful woman by his side.

As Juliet washes her face, she realizes that the drinks she took weren't enough to make her mind stop overthinking. She needs a better distraction, she needs to stop being a Capulet for once.

When the woman goes back to her seat, she's inclined to say yes to anyone willing to take her home. When Juliet goes back to her seat, Romeo's inclined to take her anywhere but home.

None of them really saw, or cared, who kissed who. The next thing they knew was how good it was to not think.

Juliet didn't think about Romeo's green eyes that looked oddly familiar. Romeo didn't think about Juliet's red hair that he was so sure he heard something about that odd color.

They only parted when the air was necessary and didn't say one word while catching their breath. They didn't care if someone saw their kiss and hardly took their eyes off each other while paying for the drinks.

They left the bar together, each of them ignoring completely the fact that they already knew each other's names.

Set/21