Chapter 7 - Phoenix

I couldn't contain the fury that boiled within me as I sought out a moment alone with my mother. The den was bustling with activity, pack members going about their business, unaware of the turmoil that churned inside me. I needed answers, and I needed them now.

Finally, I spotted her, my mother, the alpha female, standing near the den's entrance, overseeing the pack's activities. Her golden eyes, a trait passed down to me, met mine as I approached. There was an unspoken understanding between us, but that understanding had been stretched to its limit.

"Mother," I began, my voice was low and calm, but laced with hidden anger, "how could you support Avalor's decision like that? How could you stand there and watch as he tries to replace me?"

My mother's expression remained calm, her gaze steady. "Phoenix," she said, her voice gentle yet firm, "you know I have always placed the pack's well-being above all else. Avalor believes that Draegon can bring something valuable to our pack, and I understand his judgment and where he is coming from."

I clenched my fists, my frustration near the brink of boiling over, I could feel my wolf stirring. "Draegon? What do we even know about him, Mother? He's a stranger, an outsider. He could be a threat to our pack, and you're just going to let him waltz in and take my position and bring ruin to the pack?"

My mother sighed, a weary look in her eyes. "Phoenix, there are things you don't understand. I believe Avalor has seen the bigger picture. Draegon may have abilities and knowledge that can benefit us."

I shook my head in disbelief. "You're putting your trust in Avalor, a wolf who's an outsider too, and who obviously has his own hidden agenda. I can feel it, Mother. There's something dark about him, something dangerous."

My mother's patience was tested, and I could see the tension in her. "Phoenix, I understand your concerns, but you must trust in our leadership. We will not let anything harm our pack."

I took a step closer to her, my eyes ablaze with anger. "And what about me, Mother? What about your own daughter? Don't I deserve your support and trust? I have done nothing but be loyal and be the warrior that this pack needs, all while battling the trials of my blood wolf day in and day out!"

She reached out to touch my cheek, her touch gentle but filled with a sense of finality and support. "Phoenix, you are strong, and you have always been a loyal member of this pack. But sometimes, change is necessary for growth. Avalor believes that this is the right path for our pack, and I have to keep the peace."

I pulled away from her touch with a slight flinch, my heart heavy with disappointment and betrayal. "I thought you would understand, Mother. I thought you would fight for me.."

She watched me as I turned away, her golden eyes filled with a mix of sadness and determination. "Phoenix, I am fighting for you, but I'm also fighting for the pack's future. Please try to see that." Her voice was pleading, willing me to understand, I didn't hear the rest of what she said I couldn't, my vision turned slightly crimson as I let my blood wolf take control, turning my wolf ears and tail jet black with crimson tips. I took a few steps backwards away from my mother, tears stinging my eyes as I turn and rain away from her, my human form shifting into that of a jet-black wolf with crimson at the tips of my ears and tail, I was as tall as two grown men when I finished shifting, retreating into the forest.