epilogue

July 2024

*Quinn's POV*

"You're on in 2 minutes!"

The bass from the speakers pounded into our eardrums as music kept playing. The boys and I huddled up into our usual pre-show ritual, this time with more nerves than usual. Jasper fiddled with the pick in his hands, and Ian was drumming his fingers on the wall. "It's alright, guys. It's just another show. Before you know it, the song'll be over. Just enjoy it while you can, alright?" 

Dallas stared blankly at me. "It's the 2024 Opening Ceremony for the Summer Olympics, Quinn. It's not just another show."

Well, shit. Time flies when you're almost thirty, doesn't it? 

"If anything happens, just know that it'll never be as bad at that one time Milo drunkenly wrote and posted  that rap. What was it called, again?" Milo averted his eyes away from the group as they started laughing. Someone backstage gave us a 1 minute warning. 

"It was called Roaming Romans." He mumbled. 

"That was awful...but so was Dallas' nudes getting leaked. ANYWAYS. Whatever happens, I'll always be so damn proud of you guys and what you've achieved in the past frigging decade. Through everything we've ever gone through, here you are. Go out there, and kill it. Show the world what I've seen in you guys all this time." 

The backstage manager signaled that it was their  time to go onstage, and with some quick hugs, they rushed onstage. 

"Ian, your-" 

I tried to stifle a laugh as Ian almost tripped on national television before catching himself right before the door. I quickly tried the laces on his left shoe before shoving him towards the stage. "Thanks, mom!" He yelled over his shoulder, as I gave him a thumbs up. 

Once the door closed, I immediately cracked up. No matter how much older they got, or how much more they earned, a part of them would still stay the immature boys I met all those years ago, looking for a cheap place to stay in L.A for their dreams to come true. 

I smelled a familiar woodsy scent followed by two strong arms snaking their way around my waist from behind me. "Can't wait until we hear that from a little kid in the house, babe."

I smiled, turning around and resting my body against his chest. "I still can't believe you actually got here." Last time I checked, he was off in Florida talking to a group of delinquent campers about substance abuse. After spending a year or so in rehab, he started getting into that whole "talking to troubled kids" thing, while still making music on the side. He still had a few drinks every once in a while during games or parties, but nothing too crazy that he couldn't control.

"I think we've established that I'll pretty much do anything for you, Q." I shugged, trying to play it cool. "True."

We watched on the massive screen as the band played their hearts out on the stage, but this time to an audience including some of the world's best athletes, and millions around the world via television channels and livestreams.

It's a strange yet satisfying feeling, looking back years later and just taking in all the events-accomplishments and downfalls leading up to what's been achieved, established, and refined present day.

The past decade or so had been an absolute roller coaster ride. From a girl who had just been making YouTube videos, to meeting new people or reuniting with ghosts of the past, to suddenly becoming a band manager, then a new record label, there had been countless moments in which I felt like I was on top of the world, but just as many moments that it felt like the world was crumbling down around me. Between insane award show after parties and locking myself in my office with a bottle of jack at 3 in the morning so the boys wouldn't hear me crying, everything still worked out ok.