Chapter 17

In the evening,

It was almost seven in the evening, Serena left the company. She got into the car with Nick, and it drove off at a moderate speed. It was still quiet in the car. She looked out the car window at the streets.

"Young madam," Nick said.

Serena had a bad feeling about this seemingly invisible man's sudden words.

"We're being followed." Nick looked at her in the rearview mirror.

Serena turned around and saw a black car behind her. It had obviously been modified, and the bumper was especially thick.

"Can we lose him?" she asked nervously.

"No problem."

Before she could heave a sigh of relief, he continued. "But someone has tampered with the brakes."

"What?"

"It was done very professionally. When I got into the car and did a cursory check, I didn't notice it. It seems like they just adjusted the brakes a little. It's alright if I don't drive too fast, but if I were to accelerate in order to get rid of the people behind, then the brakes wouldn't work at all."

Serena bit her lip. Who can It be to attack her like this?!

"Young madam, we have two choices now. First, we park the car. But if the car behind us is trying to hit us, we will be smashed to pieces before we can even run. Second, we need to speed up. I can shake off the car in front, but I can't guarantee that we will be able to stop safely." Nick analyzed calmly.

"Accelerate." Serena did not even think about it.

Nick was stunned.

"I don't want to experience being smashed to pieces by a car," she said word by word.

Very good.

She had been tricked by someone.

She had no idea who can it be?

Serena sneered and looked at Nick calmly. "Did you just say you can't guarantee that we can safely stop?"

"Is there a problem, Young madam?"

"Does it mean you might be able to stop safely?"

"Of course, brakes aren't the only tool for braking," Nick said. "We can reduce the speed and then apply friction to the brakes. But the faster we move, the less confident we will be."

"I believe you," Serena said slowly.

Nick kept accelerating. "Young madam, aren't you afraid of death?"

"I know I need to calm down now. Otherwise, what if you panic?"

Nick seemed to laugh.

A smile didn't look good on his serious face.

He said, "I owe Mr. Ethan a huge debt out of gratitude. I have no regrets even if I die for him."

"..." Serena furrowed her brows.

The car suddenly shuddered.

She grabbed the armrest.

Nick's expression turned serious instantly. "I'm starting to speed up. Please grab hold of something, Young madam."

With that, the car sped down the streets of London City in a frenzy.

The car behind was hot on their heels. Two cars were heading in opposite directions. The streets of London City were congested with traffic due to the two cars. Unexpectedly, there were no police officers around.

Serena gripped the armrest as she looked ahead and at the cars behind. Without brakes, the slightest carelessness could spell their doom. She felt her heart tense up, and she tried not to appear too nervous.

"Do you have Mr. Ethan's cell phone number?" Nick asked.

"Should I call him?"

"Please put me on speaker."

"Alright." She hurriedly took out her cell phone.

The car behind them wasn't too far away, which exceeded Nick's expectations.

She made a call with much difficulty and hurriedly put it on speaker. "Ethan, it's Serena."

"I know," he answered calmly.

"Boss," Nick greeted respectfully.

Ethan's voice was extremely serious. "What happened?"

"I'm driving Missus out of the SK company now, and we're on front hood Road. There's a car with the license plate A6328 following closely behind us. Based on the speed and situation, it looks like it's preparing to crash into us. The bumper in front of the car has evidently been reinforced, so it's disadvantageous for us. At the same time, the brakes on my car have already been damaged, so if the car behind us maintains this speed, it might catch up to us. I can't guarantee that I'll be fine at this speed, so I need support."

"Stay connected!" The person on the other end hung up the phone.

Serena widened her eyes in shock.

That was it?!

Ethan hung up without even saying a word of concern!

She stared at the words: call ended. She was in a daze for a while, until the car began to bump again. It was at the same speed as the opposite car as they crossed paths.

"Young madam, hang on tight. I need to speed up." Jack reminded her.

The moment he said that, the back of the car gave way.

She really had no idea if the two luxury cars she'd just bought were good or bad!

It had been more than fifteen minutes on the road.

Her cell phone suddenly rang.

Shocked, she hurriedly picked it up. "Ethan."

"Pass the phone to Nick." His voice was extremely cold.

Serena did not have the time to think about it and hurriedly put it on speaker. "Nick, there's a huge blue truck at a 500-meter junction ahead of you. When you arrive, step on the accelerator and drive as fast as you can. The truck will stop the car behind you from chasing after you once you pass it. Time is of the essence! Once you pass the truck, slow down and stop the car."

"Yes." Nick nodded.

The call ended abruptly. Serena felt another push against her back. Nick must have hit the speed limit. She could even feel the car shaking. Her car wasn't a sports car. It wasn't a top-notch one!

In front of them, the blue truck was parked by the road. When Nick stepped on the accelerator, the truck started to move forward. If Nick was just a little slower, the truck would hit them directly, and they would be dead!

Staring at the two cars getting closer and closer, and then at the car behind, her anxiety skyrocketed. At the last second, she squeezed her eyes shut.

A loud crash sounded behind her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Happy reading ❤️

Like,💞

Comment,

Share😊