the winter ball

ALEX

"Alex, are you even listening to me?" June's voice snapped at my face like a wake-up call, pulling me away from the sight of a particular blond. My gaze shifted back to her face, and I blinked, momentarily disoriented.

"Uh, yes," I stammered, my thoughts still lingering elsewhere. "What were you saying?" I replied abruptly, realizing I needed to get back into the conversation. She rolled her eyes, irritation written all over her expression.

"Seriously, Alex, where has your mind been?," she said, crossing her arms. "Jannette asked you to make the silver pom-poms, where are they?"

I furrowed my brow, racking my brain for the memory of the unfinished pom-poms. But then it dawned on me - they were already hanging on the stage for the upcoming event.

"Oh, those pom-poms," I said, realizing my mistake. "They're already up on the stage. I hung them there this morning."

June's face shifted from frustration to relief as she turned to look at the stage. A sigh of relief escaped her lips. "Thank goodness, Alex. I was starting to worry. You're usually so organized."

I chuckled, grateful that I didn't have to come up with another excuse. "See, nothing to worry about. They're all set for the ball."

The winter ball was two days away, and the anticipation in the air was palpable. With our exams behind us, every student was now focused on making the ball a memorable event. The entire school was bustling with activity as we put the finishing touches on the decorations.

I found myself in the school's grand hall, surrounded by my fellow students, each of us dedicated to the task at hand. Streamers of various shades of blue and silver hung from the ceiling, swaying gently in the breeze. The tables were adorned with shimmering centerpieces and elegant tablecloths that reflected the theme of the ball perfectly.

A group of students nearby was carefully arranging fairy lights in intricate patterns along the walls, casting a soft and enchanting glow throughout the room. The DJ was testing the sound system, playing snippets of music that would set the tone for the evening.

As I lent a hand to another student, the glint from the giant disco ball above caught my attention for a moment. But it wasn't long before my gaze wandered back to Henry.

There he was, working on that silver backdrop for the photo booth, looking so focused and effortlessly attractive. I couldn't help myself; my gaze lingered on him, my mind lost in thoughts about this peculiar attraction.

I didn't understand why I was so drawn to him, why his presence had this inexplicable effect on me. All I knew was that whenever Henry was nearby, something inside me sparked to life, and I couldn't deny the heat that ignited within me.

As I was about to approach him, Ophelia, my ex, blocked my path, holding a bag of balloons. "Everyone else is busy, so you and I have to fill air in these balloons," a sly smile plastered on her face.

I looked around and she was indeed right. I let out a resigned sigh and accepted a balloon, my heart rate increasing slightly at the mere sight of her.

She looked at me with eyes that held hidden intentions, her voice lowering to a more intimate tone, "You know, Alex, I've had some time to think about everything that happened between us. I deeply regret how things ended."

I glanced at her, the memories of our past still vivid in my mind. "Ophelia, you cheated on me with my own cousin. That's not something I can simply overlook or forgive."

Her slender fingers trembled slightly as she tied a knot in a balloon, her gaze pleading with mine. "I know, Alex, and I can't change the past. But I miss you, and I've learned from my mistakes. Can we give it another chance?"