A FALLEN BRANCH|27

A few minutes passed and Ethan still hadn't said a word to me. It's honestly beginning to piss me off... Is he trying to make up a fake story so I'd believe him?

"Well? Are you going to explain everything to me, or not?"

Ethan looked down at his feet, and slowly turned his head upward to look at me, "I'm not with Alexia. You should know this about me! You should know I struggled to even talk to you! How could I ever talk to her; the most popular girl in school! And why would I even want to be with her, you know I'm not into girls," he explained.

"I'm into you... And it hurts me that you'd ever think otherwise. But I'll explain why she came up and kissed me."

I sat on my bed and placed my face in my hands, "Please... Just explain."

Ethan eased himself and he took in a huge breath of air, "I asked her why she'd do that to me, after you left, and you really wouldn't believe what she told me. Alexia looked me in the eyes and she told me that it was Noah's fault. Now I know this is unbelievable to you- but please just continue listening to me, please," Ethan begged.

My eyes widened in shock and I began to fill with anger.

HOW COULD ETHAN DARE BLAME MY CHILDHOOD FRIEND.

"Why? Why would you just blame Noah like that," I asked him in the most calm tone I could. It was getting hard to keep this up at this point. "You know that Noah has no reason to do this, right? He's only ever wanted me to be happy and he was so, so happy to see that I finally found someone who loved me, as much as I loved them, or at least I thought so anyway."

"I do love you as much as you love me Nick! Maybe even more than you actually, you don't even know how long I waited for you... I always thought you liked Noah. But when he started dating I decided I should take my chances with you! I love you Nick, not her," Ethan explained and held my hands in his.

I hesitated, but he kept my hands there, "But the thing about Noah, it just doesn't make any sense... What exactly did Alexia say to you Ethan?" Ethan's warm smile slowly left his face, and he began to explain exactly what she said, "She told me that she never really was dating Noah, and that it was all a plan so he could plot with Alexia and use her, to get you. And then straight after that, I began running to you, I wanted to explain everything to you."

Ethan then began crying as he said those words and I embraced him, "I- I love you," Ethan sniffled.

I paused, and I wasn't sure if he should say it back. Ethan noticed this and let go of the hug, "You don't have to say it back just yet," he said. "I understand you're going through a lot."

The sound of a doorbell rang and Ethan looked out of the window, "I should probably go now... Since you know- Noah's here." Ethan prepared to jump out of the window, and before he could, I grabbed him by the wrist.

"No, don't go. I want you to be there too."