Chapter 1

In life, you typically don't always get what you want. Of course I learned that the hard way. You won't always be as good looking as others, which I learned. You won't always have as much money, or as much popularity as others, which I also learned. You might think life's unfair. It is. Life is like comparing Boats and Ships and seeing which is bigger. It just isn't fair.

*
When I was five years old, I sat by a lake and played with a turtle. My young curious self took the turtle and turned it on its shell. I watched it squirm helplessly as its arms flailed trying to turn on its other side. I finally moved it back to its rightful position. At that moment, I realized I could have ended the turtle's life, or saved it. Humans are a lot similar in the sense that their lives depend on others. That if we didn't have certain people to turn us off our shell, wouldn't be the people we are today.

I find myself turning my mother off her shell at times. Like when my father yells at her, and tells her she's unimportant. Her sensitive self doesn't have the audacity to say anything back. So she simply runs to the living room and cries. So I comfort her.

My brother doesn't like leaving his room. No one knows what he does in there and no one really cares. If you try to come in, he'll have a fit. My mother says he gets his short temper from my Dad. I agree. The only time we see him is before school and after school. I haven't spoke to him in two weeks, and it's not like it was much of a memorable conversation.

This is the time of the day in which I prepare for school. In nearly 4 months, I'll be out of the house and off to college. I finish the last sip of the coffee my mom had made for me and headed out. I hop into my old, rusted car and go straight to school.

School isn't much better than home when you have one friend. Two, if you count my English teacher.

"I was planning on working at my Dad's shop, it's hard work but it pays well," Calvin told me.

"Don't you want to at least try to get into a college?" I asked him.

"You and I both know I'm not smart enough for that."

"You're brilliant. All you need to do is play to your strengths, you know?" I assured him.

"That's easy to say when you're a straight A student."

"Don't play that card."

"I just did."

I gave him a dirty look.

"So where are you applying to? Harvard? Yale? Princeton maybe?" He mocked.

"Very funny. Plus you know I don't have the money for those places. They're also extremely difficult to get into," I explained. Silence.

We sit there in the very loud cafeteria, picking at the atrocious food that they expect us to digest.

"You coming over tonight?" Calvin asked.

"I have to study."

"You can study at my house."

"You know I never get work done at your house. You're a distraction." I giggled.

"I won't be this time."

I see right through him, but I nod, agreeing to go to his place. The fifth bell finally rings, meaning last period awaits. I give Calvin a nudge and wave goodbye to him. He smiles.

*
School had finally ended and I was headed home. I drove home, arriving to my mother preparing dinner and my father laying on the couch, reading the newspaper.

"I'll be back, I'm hanging out at Cal's," I told them.

"Have fun," My mother said. "and be safe, Ellie."

I headed out the door on foot. Calvin's house is approximately 0.9 of a mile so there was no need to waste gas. I continued to walk as cars passed by me on the extremely busy street. Except one. It stopped behind me. I continued to walk a little faster, growing frightened. A man came running out of the car. I began sprinting, aware of my situation, and was halted by a rough hand pulling me back. I began breathing heavily.

I screamed, "Help!" though the sound was muffled due to a firm hand over my mouth. I began to see nothing but darkness, as my body went loose.

*

I woke, tied up, alone, on a bed. I observed my situation and began to weep. I lie there helpless, aware that I had, in fact, been kidnapped. My weeps began to make noise and a man walked in. My heart dropped.

"Stop crying, it makes me sick," The man told me.

I stopped crying, though I was unable to wipe my tears because of my hands tied behind my back.

"Who are you?" I asked the man. He didn't answer. Of course not, that'd be foolish of him.

"I'll be back. Don't try anything stupid," The man told me, I nodded.

He storms out.

I sat there in silence. Hungry. Thirsty. Lonely. I looked to my left and saw a nightstand. On it, lied a license, with the man on it.

Name: Cade Winter
Age: 24
Height: 6'2"
DOB: 8/1/91
...

I examined it a little longer before looking away. I tried to close my eyes and sleep though it was difficult. But one thing for certain I knew I wouldn't do is cry. That'll only make things worse.