Epilogue: Part 1

Author's point of view:

"I'm so glad you're home Ellie," Her mother's warm voice said.

"How's Calvin? Has he been asking for me? Gosh, I haven't talked to him in forever," Ellie asked, quickly changing the subject, trying to put the past events behind her.

"Oh yeah, he's well. He was asking about you but mostly everyone knows the news. Ellie, are you alright? I thought you'd be a bit more happy to be home," Ellie's mother questioned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I say, with a fake smile plastered on my face.

"I'm just making sure you're alright. It would be totally normal if you had some post-traumatic stress, especially being held in captivity with a psychotic killer-"

"He's not psychotic," Ellie interrupted, though she knew she shouldn't have been defending him. "He's a person like you and me. He makes mistakes."

"Right, if you call brutally murdering people and kidnapping a 17-year-old girl a 'mistake', then sure."

"You have no idea of what you're saying! You don't know him or his motives. Go to hell, Mom," Ellie exploded.

"Excuse me, young lady? I sure hope you're not talking to me like that. And why are you defending him? He's done horrible things to you."

"He's given me the time of my life. He gave me feelings I've never felt before while I was here. So if you can't understand that, then-"

Ellie's mother grabbed her arm and pulled her toward the front door, grabbing her purse.

"You're going to see a psychiatrist. This mass murderer has brainwashed you. I won't let this happen, I won't lose you."

"Mom! Let go of me! I'm not brainwashed. Stop pulling me!" Ellie yelled frantically. "I'm not sick!"

"Then get in the car so we can prove you're not ill," Her mother insisted. Ellie nodded and agreed.

Her mother drove her to the nearest psychiatric hospital. Ellie itched at the sight of places like these. 'Nut houses' as people would call them. She remained calm and fought back the fear that was beginning to overpower her. She walked through the door and entered the main office which was surprisingly empty.

"Hi, I'd like to see a psychiatrist for my daughter Eleanor. She's 17."

"No problem! We actually have a doctor that's currently free if you'd like to see one immediately," The woman at the front desk said. "Right down this hall, last door on the left."

"Great, thank you!" Said her mother.

They followed the directions given to them. Ellie and her mother walked through the front door.

"Hello. This is my daughter Eleanor. I'm Sadie," Said Ellie's mother, reaching out and shaking the young female doctor's hand.

"Hello! And hello to you Eleanor! My name is Dr. Michaels," She said, shaking Ellie's hand as well.

"Hello, and call me Ellie."

"Alright Ellie, have a seat."

Ellie sat down in the chair across from the doctors desk as her mother sat down next to her.

"So, tell me what your issue seems to be."

Ellie's mother took a deep sigh and began to speak.

"If you haven't already heard about it on the news, my daughter was kidnapped and just recently found. I'm afraid she has fallen in love with her kidnapper and I'm worried about her."

Ellie rolled her eyes, as if the whole situation wasn't a big deal to her.

"Ah yes, a critical case of Stockholm syndrome."

"Stock what?" Ellie blurted.

"Stockholm syndrome. It's a disorder in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with the captors. I'd suggest her to a psych ward. I'd very much recommend Candlewood in San Francisco. We'd pay for the ticket since we'd do anything to see her well."

"Mom this is ridiculous. I can't believe this guy thinks that you would actually send me to-"

"What was the address again? Sounds like a good idea," her mother said. Ellie's jaw dropped and she converted to a state of panic.

"Mom...You can't do this."

"You'll be much better when you're home sweetheart. Trust me."

Ellie broke into tears. She couldn't believe she's be placed in a nuthouse with a bunch of mentally ill people. She wasn't sick-at least she didn't feel sick.

"Don't cry it'll all be okay, Ellie," Dr. Michaels assured her.

Her mother was given the money for the plane ticket and the brochure to Candlewood.

"Plane leaves tomorrow. You'd be surprised how many of these we give out on a daily basis," the doctor said.

They left the doctors. The. car ride felt longer than ever.

"Pack your bags honey. We leave tomorrow at 6:00AM."