Chapter 3: Jungkook-nineteen

"Namjoon hyung, slow down," Jungkook calls out as he pedals harder to catch up. Namjoon had asked if he wanted to go biking, and Jungkook, like an eager puppy, agreed without first asking how far Namjoon wanted to go.

"Hurry up, slowpoke!" Namjoon shouts behind him, his laughter ringing in Jungkook's ears. Jungkook's face lights up, his heart fluttering. Hearing Namjoon laugh is one of his favorite things in the world. It seeps into his ears like thick honey, making everything sound sweeter.

For the past two years, Jungkook and Namjoon have been going to museums together, and during that time, Jungkook's interest in art has grown, as have his feelings for Namjoon. Since his two best friends have fallen disgustingly in love, making him feel like a third-wheel at times, he has gradually warmed up to Namjoon through their times together. He eventually felt at ease enough to be himself around Namjoon, allowing them to have conversations without Jungkook's constant blushing and stuttering.

Almost.

Okay, he still blushes, but it's not his fault that Namjoon's eyes can be both piercing—as if they can see right into his soul—and comforting, like his mother's favorite fuzzy yellow blanket that he likes to wrap himself in when he's feeling down. Namjoon is comforting like that.

Now that Jungkook is done with high school, Namjoon and he spend their free time together strolling through the park, chatting, and frequenting their favorite booth at Crystal Snow for ice cream on Namjoon's days off and after work. Namjoon's most recent hobby is to drag Jungkook along for his "bike-scapades," as Jungkook refers to them. They go out in the early afternoons to bike around and find new spots to explore, returning after sunset on most days.

When they go on longer rides, Jungkook's legs tend to get sore the next day, but Namjoon always makes up for it by treating him to an ice cream cone, which is Jungkook's favorite part because he gets to sit across Namjoon and admire his adorable dimples as they eat their ice cream. The more time he could spend with his favorite hyung, the better.

Today, they're headed to Nanij Han River Park for a late afternoon picnic to watch the sunset—Namjoon's idea. The sky is clear and the sun is still shining, but it is noticeably cooler as it gets later in the day. Namjoon is riding slightly ahead on the pink bike that Seokjin brought him for his birthday last year as a joke, not believing that Namjoon would actually use it.

But the joke's on Seokjin.

Namjoon rides it with pride whenever he can, which is most days, always dragging Jungkook along with him because Eunji hates biking and Hoseok is always too busy to go with him. So here's Jungkook now, barely catching up with Namjoon as they ride to their destination, all while keeping an eye on the way Namjoon's back muscles flex and relax with each pedal stroke.

"Come on, it's just up ahead." Namjoon glances back at Jungkook, wiping the trickling sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand. As their gazes meet, Namjoon beams, while Jungkook wobbles slightly before regaining his composure. "Careful, I don't want Jimin to scratch my eyes out for getting you hurt," Namjoon shouts as he returns his gaze to the road. "Got precious cargo to protect." Jungkook stares at Namjoon's back, a grin spreading across his face.

They slow down when they reach a secluded part of the park by the river, where a field of wildflowers grows, and hop off their bikes. Jungkook faces the river, his eyes wide with awe at the way the sun casts a golden glow on the waters below. Everything feels so serene. He closes his eyes momentarily and inhales the scent of fish and flowers around him.

Parking their bikes by the roadside, they grab the picnic basket and checkered blanket from their bicycle baskets. They find some shade under a big, bushy tree and spread out their belongings, sighing as they relax on the blanket, the smell of wildflowers enveloping them.