Chapter 4: Namjoon-twenty-two

Namjoon looks on as Jungkook's eyes sparkle with wonder the entire time they're in the taxi, his eyes a reflection of the city lights. Jungkook briefly looks back at him before returning to look back out the window. With just one look at his scrunched nose and toothy smile, Namjoon feels something intense curling in his chest.

There are so many things he loves about Jungkook, but he loves how Jungkook's smile starts in his eyes before spreading to the rest of his face. That has to be his most favorite thing about him.

After years of getting to know Jungkook, coaxing small things from the shy boy to get to know him better has turned into knowing a lot about his likes and dislikes, his dreams and aspirations of becoming an illustrator. Jungkook eventually overcame his shyness around Namjoon and grew to trust him enough to open up his world, his space, and his thoughts to him, forming a beautiful bond.

But as of late, Namjoon's thoughts have been in constant chaos. Every time he looks at Jungkook—into his starry eyes—a strange, new sensation washes over him, leaving him bewildered and wondering what it all means. Something in the way Jungkook looks at him at times that leaves him breathless and wanting more. More laughter, more heart-to-hearts, more smiling eyes, more toothy bunny smiles.

More skipped heartbeats.

More everything.

He tries to avoid dwelling on any one thought for too long, trying to prevent his world from spinning out of control. But maybe it's too late.

Maybe it already has.

When Namjoon inadvertently blurted out how pretty Jungkook had grown that day by the river, it caught him off guard. It was a fleeting thought he never intended to express out loud, especially not to Jungkook himself. But it's definitely not a lie. Namjoon has eyes, after all. When he slipped the tiny flower into Jungkook's hair, it only served to highlight his beauty even more.

Yet he can't seem to shake the knot that's formed in his gut, and he's not sure what to do with the thoughts of Jungkook that keep popping into his head, even as he feels something more compelling tugging at him. Wanting to pull him into unknown territory.

Namjoon laughs at himself—at the word that flashes across his mind. Gay. He's adamant that he isn't. He's been with Eunji for years and had no problem having sex with her... But something about Jungkook causes him to lose his mind, blurt things out, and blush in ways he's never had before. Not even with Eunji.

Oh, my god. Namjoon feels his cheeks and ears warm up just thinking about it all over again. Namjoon had a hard enough time hiding his blush from Jungkook's gaze all over his body without having to keep secret the fact that he was doing the same thing (for no reason other than the fact that Jungkook is a cute bunny boy).

And it's perfectly alright to admire another man's beauty: his perfectly round and beautiful eyes, his pouty—

"Hyung, we're here!"

Namjoon jolts out of his thoughts as Jungkook quickly clambers out of the taxi, standing beside it to take in the sights and sounds of New York City.

Among the dazzling LED lights of Times Square, Jungkook appears otherworldly, the cool light warming his skin and making him glow amid the dullness of his surroundings. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for Namjoon, the driver seems to be in a rush to pick up his next customer and he can't stop to fully appreciate the view before him. Before he can fully process his feelings, he hands over payment and circles to the trunk to grab their bags.

"Bun, come on, this way," Namjoon calls as he chuckles at Jungkook's wide-eyed stare. Jungkook's too damn cute for his own good. He walks closely after Namjoon, his eyes still darting about as he weaves through the crowd of people briskly passing him by, trying not to get left behind.