Part 9

22 March 1982

Monday 3:30pm

-----

It was sunny that day, warm too. It was welcome after the long winter. This was the first time you had experienced the cottage in spring time.

You were on the porch, enjoying the sunlight. Paul held Rosemary by the arms, letting her support her weight slightly with her own legs. She was shout-laughing, standing upright.

"It's about time we got some good weather, hmm?" Paul said.

You stood in the front doorway, looking out into the lawn.

"Her legs are getting stronger." He said, happily. "If I keep doing this, she'll be standing in no time."

Rosemary had on a yellow dress, patterned with little white flowers. She had knit stockings, and had just grown into her booties. They weren't proper shoes, but more durable than socks.

"Babies don't walk on their own until the first year, or a little after." You said.

"Nine months for you, your dad said." Paul said. "Maybe she'll be walking early! Don't you think?"

"Nine months..." You thought to yourself. "That'll be the summer. Good lord, we'll need to do a once-over for our flat once we're back."

Rosemary cooed. Paul was helping her stand, and she seemed to really enjoy looking around from the new perspective, being upright.

"It's better, isn't it?" You spoke to her, leaning down. "It's easier to see. Keep at it, Mary."

"She'll get muddy if we leave the porch." Paul hummed.

He was walking her back and forth on the front porch, though Rosemary wasn't really walking, Paul supporting most of her weight. Here and there, she'd bear her weight, but only for a few moments, and she didn't step. She likely wouldn't be able to stand unassisted for a little longer.

There were flower bushes in the garden beneath the cottage's front windows. You saw a brown speckled butterfly fluttering around them.

You slipped on shoes, and came to sit on the front steps.

Rosemary caught your eyes, she was smiling wide. You felt warmth bloom, and smiled back.

Her attention was quickly diverted as Paul walked her further.

Without warning, Paul scooped her up, prompting a squeal. He swung her around, making her giggle madly. You wouldn't have expected it from the straight-faced baby she used to be, but Paul could always get a rise out of her.

Paul brought the baby to his face and began peppering her with kisses as she squeaked.

She looked dizzy when he put her back down again. She could sit upright, and did so, her hands on the floor in front of her for balance.

Paul laid down as well, his head resting beside her.

His eyes met yours. He looked lazy, like a cat, but more of a rabbit when he opened his mouth.

"Lovely out, isn't it?" He said.

"Yes."

"Almost like summer."

He had a faint smile. You smiled back. His eyes were lidded.

"Remember what I promised?" Paul said.

"What?"

He was pleasant. His eyes narrowed the slightest bit, and he lowered his voice, as if sharing a secret.