Part 3

28 January 1982

2:00pm Thursday

-----

The countryside really was beautiful. Even though it was cold out, it was sunny, and it was nice to have the fresh air. You tried to leave the warm security of the cottage to brave the miles of wonderful greenery and mist.

Paul was dressing the baby to go out. He put her in a onesie, and then stockings and mittens. She still fit in her white cygnet winter coat. A knit cap to cover her ears and she was set.

She was awake more often now, which Paul derived rich enjoyment from. Her eyes were open, making gurgling sounds and staring, kicking her legs as Paul raised her up.

Paul giggled, beaming, his nose scrunched.

"Hullo baby." He said, voice pinched. "Who's my little dove, yes... my little angel, your Daddy's here."

He moved closer, kissing her face. She made a squeal.

He tucked her into the sling, before putting on his coat.

He took your hand, running it up your arm teasingly. He had that wide-eyed spacy giggly look on his face.

"Are you ready to go?"

You nodded.

You walked out the door to a brisk chill. The house really did have good insulation.

You looked behind you, confused, seeing that Paul hadn't followed. He grinned at you, face puffed.

"I've bought a camcorder!" He said. "Do you mind?"

He handed you a sleek looking device. It looked brand new.

"It records in color, sound too!" He said, proudly. "I'd bought it in preparation for home movies. Nice, in't it?"

You looked down at it, amused.

"I'm not much of a filmmaker, but as you wish."

Your dad used to film home movies, but those cameras were on film, not tapes. No audio, only black and white film. He was more knowledgeable with tech, always had been. It was his industry, though he did more with computers than gadgets.

You turned to Paul, a more devilish expression.

"If we're on the topic of home movies... another bright idea comes to mind..."

He caught on quickly, flustering, a small shaky smile.

"Ah, well..." He interrupted. "If so, we'd have to change out the tapes, wouldn't we?"

He took on a self-assured expression, holding out his hands.

"I've got a vision, y'see. In ten years time, the lot of us, our brood, sitting by the fire reminiscing to these home movies."

He cut into a fit of giggling, his hand covering his mouth like a schoolgirl.

"No... imagine us all sitting around, watching sweet family films, then suddenly it cuts to a..."

He interrupted himself with his own giggling.

"Oh, no!" He said.

You squeezed his hand. You tilted your head to the road, your eyes narrowed. You'd been idling at the doorway, letting the cold air in.

"Ho-kay." He breathed, pleasantly chuffed.