Part 11

4 April 1982

4:00pm Sunday

-----

You were laid together in the living room. Most of your time was spent there, unless it was warm enough to laze outside.

You were on your stomach, your chin on your folded arms. The baby was having her nap upstairs. Paul was playing with your hair. You weren't sure what he was doing with it, humming to himself to the tune on the old record.

Gone is the romance and broken the vow

We used to be sweethearts, but what are we now?

Happy-go-lucky you, and brokenhearted me

"Man in the moon is sad as can be He looks down from heaven and what does he see?" Paul crooned along. " Happy-go-lucky you, and brokenhearted me..."

Hair twirled around his fingers.

"Not anything you'll need to worry about." You said.

You traced the intricate design of the old rug beneath you, absentmindedly.

"Mmm?"

"Well, I won't be leaving you." You said. "So you'll never end up brooding and brokenhearted."

"Aww..." Paul said.

He leant closer, nuzzling your cheek from behind, kissing.

"Why can't you always be this sweet?" Paul said.

"I'd rot." You said.

Paul gave a sigh of contentment, his lips drew back.

"I dreamt about you last night." He said.

You smiled. He was behind you, so you couldn't see his face.

"Did you?" You said.

"Mmm."

When he didn't elaborate, you spoke.

"Well? What happened?" You said.

Paul paused for a moment.

"Well." He said. "Depends on whether you'd like the clean version, or the dirty one."

You snickered.

"Dealer's choice." You said.

Paul twirled a lock of your hair. You could feel the strands shift.

"It's arbitrary, dreaming about you." He said. "We're already together most of the time. It adds up you'd be in my dreams too."

If Paul had long hair of his own, he'd probably always be touching it, twirling it. Since he didn't, he used yours.

He tucked it behind your ear.

"D'you dream about me, lovie?" He said.

"Of course I do." You said. "Plenty."

"Dirty?" He said.

Your finger went to your lips.

"Sometimes." You said. "But why is that such a surprise? Not as if we're abstinent."

You shivered. Paul had moved your hair out of the way, and pressed his mouth against your neck.

"So what did you dream?" you said.

Paul giggled.

Huhuhu... hand daintily over his mouth, you bet.

"I dreamt I was laid in the fields." He said with a sigh.