Part 1

2 January 1982

5:54pm Saturday

-----

You were both beneath the duvet and thick blankets, him laid atop you. It was as if you were hiding away.

You could feel his hot breath on your cheek.

"Mother..." He crooned.

His voice lowered to a whisper.

"It's storming out, but we're safe here."

It was quite bad out there, more so than it had been. The power was shaky in the house, the lights flickering, so you'd shut them off. It was 6:00pm now and pitch black out.

You felt his hand wrapped around your arm, the warmth of his soft palm, his fingers curled around your flesh.

You couldn't see his features, but you could see his silhouette. He was close, but pulled back slightly, and you saw the shadow of his face.

"My love..." He purred.

"What is it?" You said.

He lowered back down, resting his head by your shoulder.

His heart was beating slowly, you could hear his breaths.

He sang, voice lowered.

"Stormy weather... Since my love and I ain't together... Keeps raining all of the time..."

"It's a beautiful song." You said, peaceful. "The lyrics, very lovely."

The wind was blowing outside. It rained in the city as well, but in the quiet of the country, no crowded buildings keeping it at bay, the storm seemed more powerful.

"I've never been so good with words..." Murmuring, for himself. "Melody comes easier, but words not so much."

Your eyes were shut. His voice went so well with the sound of rain and wind outside. It almost felt like the house itself was swaying.

Maybe it was. But no... it was an old house, built well. It would stay right where it stood for decades.

You kept your eyes shut, but spoke softly.

"You ought to put your voice on tape." You murmured.

He let out an exhale through his chest, a drowsy, content one.

"Make a recording?"

You hummed in affirmation. One of your hands was curled around his back. You stroked him there, feeling as it rose and fell.

He was like a child himself. He laid on your chest, and he weighed you down, though you barely felt it.

Paul continued, the same tone as before, still low.

"Whatever for?"

Your eyes opened slightly. It was dark as before, but you could see the obscured physicality of the room, namely where the walls reached the ceiling, the old fashioned trimming and hanging light. It was all in shades of grey and black.

Now that your eyes had adjusted, there was a slight bit of light from the window. The only thing that could cast shadows, but it couldn't even qualify as moonlight, as the moon was obscured by clouds and fog. With all other senses dulled, the quiet murmurs between you could be heard much clearer than usual, despite the sound of wind and rain.

You gazed at him, though it was only the dark outline of his hair. His face was turned to your neck, head resting on the pillow beside yours.

"It would be a shame not to capture it." You said. "That way it would last forever, just as it was now."