Part 13

24 April 1982

8:00pm Saturday

-----

Paul held the baby up by his cheek.

"We don't need to go." He said, voice like sweetness. "We can stay here. We can be farmers."

You looked at him, unconvinced.

You folded one of Rosemary's gowns. Though, this one she had grown out of. She had grown out of a lot of newborn gowns you had brought out here.

Paul smiled wider. He touched your cheek, making your head turn to look at him.

"Really." He said. "You, me, and Mary. We don't need a life in the city. All we need is the farm, and each other. You can do the washing, and I could chop the wood. I'll work these fields, and you can cook what I grow. We can have heaps of children, as farmers do, one after the other. We can fuck in the grass, and you can give birth in the barn."

You took Rosemary from him, an angry look.

My... she was heavier than before.

"I know you too well. I bet you're itching to get back to constant excitement." You said.

Paul gazed upward. Your words half fell on deaf ears.

"Maybe... but I've been enjoying our time away." He mused. "We could have sheep. You can get a loom, and make your own yarn. You can knit for all of us."

You put her up on the bed. She looked down at you. She was wearing the lavender cardigan you'd knit ages ago.

"The city is no place for a baby." He said. "Little Mary belongs in nature. She'll be happier out here, living the way a child should."

Your cases were open, and you were folding your clothes, moving them from the drawers and closet to be taken away.

Paul took Rosemary from the bed, placing her in your open suitcase.

He grinned at you, you sighed.

You handed her back to him. Paul went back to fussing and playing with her.

Beau had grown also since Paul brought him in the cardboard box, but that's what he'd be riding in, but with the top off and a blanket over the bottom.

You were also melancholic leaving.

Paul was on his back now, lifting her up and rolling around, making sounds to hear them back. She really adored him. He reminded you of a cat playing with its kitten.

You knew he was just pulling your leg about staying. It simply wasn't realistic. Paul belonged in the city, and he loved his work. You couldn't stay here forever.

You were folding Rosemary's nightgowns, putting them in your case. There was more room in the cottage than your flat, but you were bringing the things she'd grown out of also.

There was more room in the cottage. You likely wouldn't need these smaller clothes again. Why not just leave them here?

What would come first, returning to the cottage, or a second baby? You didn't know...

You were surprised Paul could take this much time off in the first place. You knew firsthand how busy he could be.

Paul had been sending letters now and then, beginning a couple months into your stay. To keep up with things in the city, but ultimately, that was his only interaction with his work during this stay.

With that said, you weren't sure if he'd be away this long a second time.

What would your life together be life, with the schedule of a lawyer? Would it be enough time with one another week by week?