Chapter Nine

"Is she going to work here every weekday?" Nora asks, nodding her head toward Juniper as she pours steamed milk into a cup of espresso

I shift my gaze to Juniper, who is setting up her laptop at the same table she's occupied for the past few days.

"I guess so. Her internet is down, and we're working on that article now," I say, attempting to avert my attention from her and her outfit. I like this one on her– dark overalls, a tight red shirt, and her white Converse shoes.

Nora hands the latte to a waiting customer before turning back to me with a grin. "So, are you going to ask her out then?"

"No. Why would you think I'd do that?" I keep my voice low, hoping Juniper doesn't overhear us, and I make my way towards the supply closet, grabbing a vanilla syrup.

"Because you literally can't stop staring at her. It's kinda creepy, Wells. I know she's pretty, but no one wants a Joe Goldberg in their life," Nora teases, leaning against the counter and twirling her hair.

"Who?" I ask, puzzled by the reference, but she waves it off.

"First of all, Nora, I'm not staring," I protest, "and secondly, she just got out of a relationship. I'm not going to be that guy."

Can I be that guy? The rebound guy, if that's what she wants?

Nora presses on, "Well, you should at least feel it out, you know, plant your little seeds here and there."

"Nora, don't say that," I say, shaking my head, dismissing her choice of words.

"Don't say what?" She asks, puzzled.

"Plant little seeds," I repeat. "Your metaphors need work."

She rolls her eyes. "What I'm trying to say is that I get the feeling she's not the type to stay on the market for very long."

She's right, and I can't help but agree. I can think of about five guys in the office who have been waiting for Juniper to become available. After her being with Beckett for a year and a half, it seemed like she was off the market for good, and everyone had given up hope. But now, that's no longer the case.

"I mean, look at her right now," Nora says, and I glance over to see Juniper engaged in a conversation with some guy standing by her table. He says something that makes her laugh, and then she politely declines whatever he asked her. "She could be taken at any moment."

I sigh. "Nora, I'm not going to 'feel' anything out or 'plant' anything in her head, okay?"

She grins mischievously. "Fine, but when Mr. Hotshot Lawyer comes around and whisks her away, I'm going to tell you I told you so."

I roll my eyes. "What makes you think she'd even be interested in a lawyer?"

"Fine then. When Mr. NBA Basketball player comes around and lets her handle his balls—"