Chapter Thirty Three

"He punched him?" Ellis asks as we walk down the sidewalk toward Hansen's

"Yeah," I reply sheepishly, recounting the events of the other day to Ellis and Delaney.

"Oof. All because he thought you were cheating on him?" Delaney asks incredulously.

"That's what Beckett said, yeah," I confirm, nodding.

"Even though he was the one that cheated on you?" Ellis says, her eyebrows pinched together, as she reaches for the door handle to Hansens.

"Yeah."

"Did Wells say something that made him think that?"

"No, Wells just came out, trying to make sure I was okay and then—"

"—He punched him," Delaney finishes.

"Yeah, pretty much, and now I feel terrible. Like I need to make it up to him or... I don't know. Something more than just..." I pause, biting the side of my lip as I try to gather my thoughts.

"Sex?" Ellis says.

"Well... yeah."

"Does it even matter, though?" Delaney shrugs as we reach the front counter. "Isn't that what this is? Just a hookup?"

My steps grind to an abrupt halt, eyes widening as I turn my head toward her, and then quickly scanning my surroundings for any sign of Wells, making sure he hasn't overheard.

"What?" Delaney stops beside me, catching my alarmed expression. "I mean, you are just hooking up with him, right? Just sex?"

"Delaney," Ellis scolds in a hushed tone while I interject, "Will you please shut up?"

"What?" Delaney whispers again, clearly confused. "I thought you guys were just hooking up."

"Oh my god," I mutter, pressing my fingers against my temples.

The sound of shuffling emerges from the back room, and I drop my hands to my side, turning to watch as Nora walks through the door.

"Oh, hey, Juniper," she greets with a smile.

"Hi," I reply, forcing a smile as I study her face, hoping she didn't hear anything.

"Your usual?" Nora asks, adjusting her apron after slipping it over her head and tying the strings neatly. Despite Delaney's big fat obnoxious mouth, Nora shows no signs of hearing what she said.

"Um, yes, please. Thank you," I say, smoothing out my voice as I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "Is Wells around by any chance?" I ask, subtly peering past her toward the back room.

"Oh yeah," she nods, grabbing a cup from the stack to start making my coffee. "He's roasting in the back. I'll let him know once I get your coffees going."