Chapter Twelve

"You want to start by cuttin' around the neck of the deer and start skinnin' the hide," Roxanna explains, demonstrating with her hands

"You want to start by cuttin' around the neck of the deer and start skinnin' the hide," Roxanna explains, demonstrating with her hands. "Once you've exposed the meat of the neck, you should have enough hide to get a good grip. Pull with one hand, slice with the other, and the rest is easy from there." She grins and nonchalantly raises her glass for a sip.

I nod slowly. "Fascinating."

Her face brightens. "Oh! You should come huntin' with me and my brother next weekend!"

"Uh, well, I think I might actually have plans already," I say hesitantly, glancing over at Nora who is pointedly avoiding eye contact with me, hiding behind her drink as she sits next to Liam.

"Well, maybe next time then," Roxanna says with a friendly smile, taking the last sip of her whisky sour. "I should probably get going, y'all."

Nora turns, looking a bit surprised, and asks, "So soon?"

Roxanna nods as she rises from the high-top table. "Oh yeah, I have to be up early tomorrow." She turns to me with a warm smile. "It was nice seeing you, Wells."

"Oh yes, very nice talking with you," I say as she leans in for an awkward hug. "Can I walk you to your car?"

Please say no. Please say no.

"Oh, that's alright. My truck is parked just out front," Roxanna says, gesturing through the window to a red lifted Ford truck. "Bye, y'all."

"Bye, Roxy," we all chime in. I briefly watch her walk away and before I turn to Nora, who offers me a toothy smile.

"Why the hell did Roxanna think this was a date tonight?" I grin out.

"She thought this was a date?" Liam says, a chuckle escaping him as he tips back his beer to take a sip.

"I swear, I didn't tell her it was one!" Nora defends herself. "All I said was that she should join us and that you'd be here. I don't understand why you don't like her."

"It's not that I don't like her, Nora. Don't get me wrong. She's very beautiful," I clarify. She is, she looks like a Megan Moroney. "And I'm sure she will make some cowboy very happy one day, but I don't know if a country, hunter, Montana girl is exactly my type."

"How do you know she thought it was a date?" Liam asks.

"Because she came up to me while I was dancing to Juniper and introduced herself as my date," I say, my gaze subtly shifting to Juniper at her table.

"You were dancing with her?" Nora's eyes widen in surprise. "You don't even like dancing."

"I know," I admit.

I hate dancing. But when I saw Juniper in that crowd, dressed in that fucking short silky black dress, I couldn't resist. I had to do something, anything to get closer to her, to touch that soft material caressing her figure.