Chapter Twenty Two

I've been awake for hours

It's only 9 am, I've already had three cups of coffee, deep-cleaned the entire house, reorganized my mom's linen closet, done the laundry, and purged the expired condiments from the fridge. All because I've been awake since 5 am. I couldn't sleep. Not after last night.

My mind has been racing, brainstorming ways for this thing between Juniper and me to work, contemplating ways to make this 'one time' turn into something more.

I've been mentally sifting through all the reasons Juniper thinks this is a bad idea and can't work, attempting to find ways to make it feasible. I think the 'no fraternizing' rule might just be some outdated policy that no one probably bothers enforcing anymore, and her 'no boys pact' doesn't concern me much.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw her friend Ellis making out with some guy at the rodeo before I ran into Juniper that day.

But then there's the Beckett situation.

I know he still reaches out to her; I see her ignore his calls all the time. Where he stands in all of this, I'm not entirely sure. And truth be told, I'm not sure if it's any of my business either.

I don't know what I really expected after sex with Juniper. I guess I didn't think she was serious about this 'one-time' notion. I half-expected her to change her mind afterwards, but that's not what happened.

After untangling ourselves and getting up from the couch, I helped her readjust her dress, carefully tying the bows where the straps of her green dress met. And then buttoned up my shirt as she ran her fingers through her hair, smoothing out the stray hairs.

With a subtle clearing of her throat, she extended her hand out to me for a handshake. I found myself staring at it, a bit puzzled, before glancing back up at her, huffing out a laugh. "Are you giving me a handshake for the sex?"

Her cheeks flushed. "God, Wells, I don't know how to handle this. I'm not used to these kinds of situations. I don't do this kind of thing."

"And you think I do?"

"Will you just shake my hand so we're clear that this won't happen again? That this was a one-time thing like we agreed to? We can forget this happened?"

"You do know I was inside of you like five seconds ago, right?"

She grunted irritably and extended her hand again, shaking it for me to take it. I glanced at her before slowly accepting, shaking it once. Then, I pulled her closer and whispered in her ear, "If you think for a single moment that I going to be able to forget about you the way you came all over my cock, you're mistaken."

Her eyes widened, and she snatched her hand away from mine before grabbing the rest of her things and hurrying out the door.

I know Juniper loves her rules, but we've undeniably shattered every single one of them. She's probably in a complete tizzy about it by right now, doing the complete opposite of what I'm doing—freaking out.