Chapter Sixteen

I descend the basement stairs, making my way toward the wine cellar

I descend the basement stairs, making my way toward the wine cellar. The space is a compact, snug, narrow hallway. A stone wall lines the left side, and on the right, built-in wine racks extend from floor to ceiling, showcasing Ellis's parent's extensive collection of wines. In between the racks, a short butcher block counter houses a bowl of corks, a wine opener, and other wine accessories.

I walk into the cellar and stand in the doorway, exhaling an exasperated sigh. I had to get out of there, away from that table. I don't know whether to be attracted to Wells or just irritated by him.

He says things like I'm terrible at my job, then compliments my outfits as if he hasn't made fun of them for the entirety of our friendship. Can even call it that? A friendship? He's more like my hot nemesis who I now have sex dreams about.

And he had a fiancé?

"What the fuck?" I mutter under my breath. I step into the tiny cellar and start searching for the wine. First by reds and then by type, but I can't seem to find it.

I mean, how the hell did I not know that? Was that before he started working for the Seattle Sun Times? Was this common knowledge? Did everyone at the office know this? What else don't I know about Wells? This shouldn't even matter to me. It doesn't matter to me.

I knew it was a bad idea having him here for dinner. I should have pushed Ellis off the boat before she even had a chance to ask him.

I shove aside the thoughts as I shift my gaze upwards, and sure enough, it's the highest bottle on the shelf. A frustrated grunt escapes my lips as I start searching the cellar for a step stool. Just then, I hear the sound of Ellis descending the stairs.

"Hey, is there a step stool down here? The wine you want is way too high, and I can't reach it," I call out, attempting to stretch on my tiptoes while balancing my weight on the counter, but it's useless.

"I can grab it," Wells says, his sudden appearance startling me. I turn to find him standing in front of the small doorway of the cellar, his broad shoulders nearly filling the entire frame.

I clear my throat and offer a sheepish smile. "Oh, I thought you were Ellis."

"She said you might need help and sent me down," Wells replies, his gaze shifting from me to the rack of wines and he takes a step closer as I instinctively take a step back. "That's a lot of wine."

I nod, elaborating, "Um, yeah, her parents are members of like ten different wineries."

He nods in response with a hum. "You want me to grab it for you?" Wells offers, now standing beside me, blocking the way out. I glance at the door behind him, wondering if there's enough room for me to squeeze by and escape this suddenly cramped wine cellar.

"Uh, sure," I reply, my voice slightly uneasy, as he positions himself right behind me. "It's the one on the top shelf." I nervously pointing upwards to the bottle at the very top.