Chapter 11

'I hope they are good teachers,' Harry said.

'Agreed mate. It is a very important subject. I do wonder as to how they got to teach.'

'Maybe they have some lessons at their school about subjects like healing and they were some of the best students in that class?' Hermione said.

'Could be,' said Harry. 'But instead of wasting time, let's head over to the room. It is our first class, remember?'

Harry, Hermione, and Ron were the first students in the class. When they got there, the professors were already standing there. Percy and Annabeth were sitting on one of the chairs as Percy braided her hair, Leo was building something with some parts that he kept pulling out of a... tool belt? Calypso was scolding him, telling him to calm down. The others were deep in discussion.

Hermione caught sight of something golden and she gasped. 'Is that a wedding ring?' 

They turned to her as if noticing them for the first time. 

'Hi, you three. Yeah, it is a wedding ring.'

Ron frowned. 'I don't mean to offend anyone, but aren't you guys a little young?'

Jason cracked a small smile. 'You know, this is the first thing many people ask us and this answer is...' he laced his fingers with Piper's. 'We have to make the most of our time on this earth, don't we? We are all slated to die anyway, so we might as well spend it with those we love.'

Hermione fell into deep thought at his words. That was true because the cold, cruel hands of fate could snatch you away at any moment. But why did Jason seem as if he was speaking from experience? As far as she was aware, the war had not really gained a lot of traction in the States.

Just then, the doors opened, and the students came into the room. They looked shocked, to say the least, to find the exchange students sitting in the professors' chairs.

'You guys are teachers?' Dean asked incredulously.

Reyna swiveled around in her chair to meet Dean's face, twirling a pen in her hand. 'Yes, Mr. Thomas.'

'But why?'

Thalia pondered on the answer for a bit. Hermione could see Hazel mouthing "DON'T DO IT" to Thalia, but the older girl just turned to her and shot a smirk.

'Gee, maybe it is because we have been through what you have tenfold and thrice the number of times.'

The sound of palm's striking foreheads echoed through the now-silent room as Thalia's friends smacked their foreheads in exasperation. Not a moment later the entire room broke out into loud chatter as everyone started speaking at once

'What Thalia means is that we have experience with resolving issues you are currently facing,' Annabeth said, trying to rescue the conversation before it became a train wreck.'

Piper chose not to help matters. Hermione could not believe that the daughter of the Tristan McLean was not only a witch, but was at Hogwarts. 

Piper shot Annabeth an amused smile and said, 'But we don't really deal with our issues, do we? This is the exact conversation I had with Perce on the flying hunk of metal. He gave me a response I definitely was not expecting. He had said, "I've had the weight of the world on me. Both figuratively and metaphorically. But if there is one thing I've learned from all of it: deal with it by not dealing with it. Is it healthy? No. Does it work? Yes. You have to learn to compartmentalize. Ask Anna or Jason, and they'll say the same thing. Our lives are royally messed up, girl, and we have to do what we must to survive.

By the way, this whole "staying strong" thing is a complete lie. We have- as you said- the weight of the world upon us. If we look weak, do you think anyone will follow us? We have to stay strong, or at least pretend to do so.'

The entire class watched on in bewilderment, seeing the students-professors reminiscing on memories. Also, damn could Percy be philosophical.

'Lemme guess, that was after we got out of... there, you approached him, he snapped at you, and then gave you this excellent speech?'

'Yeah. That is the entire conversation in a nutshell.'

Annabeth turned to Percy and said, 'Either you really are not as hard to read as people seem to think or I know you too well.'

He raised an eyebrow. 'Is that a question, Wise Girl?'

Harry cleared his throat. 'Professors?'

Percy turned bright red. 'Ah... Sorry, guys. We got a bit carried away. Let us start the class with introductions. After that, Frank and Hazel will explain how the classes will work, distribute the therapy diaries,  and give you the incantations for the rage room spell.'

Nico and Will nodded sagely. 'That is a personal favorite of mine. Nothing works better for letting loose your anger than that.'

'Let's get cracking now, shall we?'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percy stretched. 'I would say that that was a pretty good first day of classes, no?'

'Yeah it was,' Hazel said. 'But we really should get to planning out the rest of the lessons and the exams. And Thalia, why did you do that? We will have rumors flying about everywhere by tomorrow.'

The aforementioned girl groaned. 'I know. It was a dumb decision. I do not know what came over me.'

Frank turned to Leo. 'Have you set the perimeter traps? Or at least alarms?'

'Yeah.'

As if on cue, bells rang throughout their room, and the portrait of Chiron said, 'Drakon! Drakon at the castle perimeter!'

'Fuck.'