Emily

• Dedicated to Niall Horan, One Direction

Emily

I could hear faint sounds of stirring near my bed. Slight shuffling from a sleeping bag; small sounds of grumbling mid-dream. Why did I have to be such a light sleeper? Don't get me wrong, I was glad that my two best friends in the entire world, Breccan and Jenna, were sleeping over, but I just couldn't sleep. I rolled over in bed to look at the clock on my nightstand.

6:42 am. There won't be any going back to sleep now.

I groggily sat up, throwing my tangled mess of blankets across the bed. My feet shuffled across the wood floor; I was too lazy to pick them up. I stepped over Breccan, only a mess of bright blonde curls showing out of the sleeping bag in the dim light coming from my bedroom window. I kept walking when I closed my eyes for only a second, and jammed my foot against my dresser.

"Holy fuck," I whisper yelled to myself as sharp pain filled my foot. I was definitely awake now. I danced around for a brief moment, hoping for the pain to subside, and trying to keep as quiet as possible.

"Emily? What's going on?" I heard Jenna grumble from somewhere along the dark wall.

"Nothing," I said, still hobbling around, trying to walk it off. "Go back to sleep." The rustling sounds of twisting sleeping bags filled the room as I hurried into the bathroom and shut the door after flipping on the lightswitch. I looked down to make sure my foot was okay. Damn dresser, I thought to myself. I really need to move that thing. Sure enough, my foot was cut slightly, but it wasn't too bad. Nothing I couldn't handle.

I gripped the counter tightly with one hand as I rumaged through the drawers for a band-aid. After cleaning up my foot, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I was too exhausted to even recognize my own sea colored eyes staring back for a few seconds. I examined the rest of my figure in the mirror. My deep brown waves of hair hung low over my shoulders tangled and messy. I had a lot of fixing before I'd be ready to go out today. But despite everything, I was excited about my plans with my friends. We'd been planning this day for weeks, and making sure that we'd all have the time off from school and work. I had been ready for this girl's day out since the very beginning, and even though I was tired, my gut feeling was telling me that this day was going to be simply perfect. I was ready for a little time with my friends to just relax and have fun.