Emily

• Dedicated to Niall Horan, One Direction

 Emily

This awkward, quiet boy named Niall was cute, and not like mildly good looking. His bright blond hair and sky blue eyes had locked onto mine when I knocked him over, and it felt like he was looking into my soul. Niall had the kind of looks that could make your heart melt and cause permanent internal flailing, and I’d run right into him. As I’d taken him back to meet my friends, I thought I’d seen their eyes widen, like they knew him from somewhere, but I wrote it off thinking they were probably just shocked that I’d crashed right into him.

 I was mildly shocked myself that I’d been confident enough to immediately induct him into my circle of friends, but I felt like I could trust him. Besides, taking a man shopping is the best way to judge character. If he’ll shop with you, then you know you’ve found a guy who’s lighthearted enough to make the best of any situation, and that’s a keeper. We ducked into a Forever 21, and wandered around in the maze of tables and racks, picking up clothes. Niall stayed near my side most of the time, while Breccan and Jenna wandered around on the other side of the store.

“I think this would look brilliant on you,” he said after a few minutes of browsing in silence. I looked up at him from the sheer lavender crop top I had been examining. He was holding up a gorgeous black lace number. It looked like it would come down to my knees, with a high empire waist and sweetheart neckline.

“I wouldn’t mind trying it on,” I responded. “It is a gorgeous dress, Niall. Here, come with me.” I reached down and wrapped my slender fingers around his hand again. He didn’t resist even a bit, and I felt good about being bold with him. I brought him back into the dressing room area with me. Niall handed me the dress and I went into a stall to change. As I slipped the fabric up around my body, I opened the stall door. “Would you mind zipping me up?” I asked. Niall nodded quickly and stood up from the bench he’d been sitting on, and I turned around for him to grab the zipper of the dress. I looked down at my toes for a moment. I heard a shocked gasp from behind me, and I snapped my head up to look around, only to find Breccan and Jenna staring at me in the dress.

“Emily, that is a gorgeous dress, where did you find it?” Jenna asked excitedly.

“Actually I didn’t, Niall did,” I said, turning to glance back at Niall, who was blushing furiously.

“Well it looks fantastic on you,” Breccan commented, still staring at the dress before glancing up at Niall.

“I really do love it,” I said, smiling. “I might buy it, actually.” I lifted my arm into the air to search for the tag. “Never mind,” I said dejectedly. 

“What is it?” Niall asked, looking at me from over my shoulder. His sparkling blue eyes locked onto mine.

“It’s almost two hundred dollars!” I whisper-yelled. Breccan and Jenna exchanged an astonished look, taken aback by the absurd price. Niall’s facial expression embodied all my emotions perfectly.

Disappointed and upset.

“I can’t afford this,” I said turning back around. “Somebody unzip me.” Jenna stepped forward to grab ahold of the zipper.

“No,” Niall spoke up. “I’ll buy it.” My head snapped up to stare at him. Did he seriously think I was going to let him spend his hard earned money on me? The dress was simply too expensive, no matter how pretty it was.

“Niall, I can’t let you buy this,” I said, looking up at him. “It’s just too expensive, and I don’t want you to waste your money on me.” Niall exchanged a glance with Jenna and Breccan, before looking back to me, a smile beginning to spread on his face.

“It’s not a waste,” he said back coolly, still smiling. “You’ll need something fancy to wear when I take you out tomorrow night.”

******************************************************************************************

We’d checked out after only a few more minutes of me trying to talk Niall out of spending that much money, to no avail. As we left the store, he got a text message from a friend, and that he had to go, but not before he got my number. I rattled off the digits as he typed them into the phone. 

“How does eight o’clock sound?” he asked, looking up from the small screen.

“Simply perfect,” I replied, a huge smile spreading over my face once more. I didn’t think I’d ever felt this happy. Finally I’d found a sweet guy who thought I was something special, and that was not something I’d ever really had happen before. Niall said goodbye before turning to leave the mall, and I was left standing with my two speechless friends.

Emily! Do you know who that was?” Breccan almost squealed from pure excitement, as she bounced up and down. I exchanged a worried look with Jenna, who was also beginning to bounce around and giggle like a schoolgirl.

“Uh, no..?” I trailed off waiting for the girls to fill me in on who they thought Niall was.

“That was Niall fucking Horan,” Breccan was seriously starting to freak out on me at this point.

“I highly doubt his middle name is ‘fucking’,” I said sarcastically, barely able to keep a straight face as I delivered my line. Jenna bust out laughing at Breccan’s ‘serious business’ face as I mocked her. “In any case, why is that name significant?”

“Okay, really?” It was Jenna’s turn to give me an incredulous look. “Have you been living under a rock?" 

“Yes, actually,” I retorted back laughing hysterically, almost doubling over. 

“Well you should come join the rest of the world,” Breccan said, giggling like an idiot, her face turning a bright pink from laughing so hard. 

“No thanks, my rock is nicer than your apartment.” It was several minutes before we were able to regain our composure enough to talk. We had been laughing so hard that we ran out of air, so we just stood in the middle of the mall clapping like retarded seals.

“Niall Horan is a member of the biggest boy band in the world, One Direction,” Jenna finally spoke up after taking several deep breaths, her face still flushed pink. I could feel my stomach twist up into a knot the size of an elephant as all the color drained from my face. If I had known that, I wouldn’t have treated him like I did today. I would’ve treated him more special, not quite so normal. But then I got to thinking about it, and maybe the way I treated him today was what he really wanted more than anything. Maybe that’s why he was so drawn to me and not the other girls. “I can tell by the look on your face, we have a lot of prep to do before tomorrow night,” Jenna said finally. “Let’s go.”