Emily

• Dedicated to Niall Horan, One Direction

Emily

I heard the familiar chime of the doorbell as I sat putting on my favorite necklace, a metal bird on a chain. 

“I’ve got it,” I heard Breccan call up from downstairs, as her feet scuffled across the floorboards to the door. I quickly stood up and ran to grab my black heels that would go with the dress. I slipped them on as I heard an angelic voice downstairs say, “Hey there, Breccan! Emily’s here, right?” 

I could feel shivers go up my spine as the words came to my ears like music, and Niall wasn’t even singing. Oh God, I thought to myself. It must be brilliant when he does. I hurried out of my room and down the stairs. I could swear that I saw Niall’s mouth drop open for a split second when he saw me. That was all the confirmation that I needed. This was going to be an amazing night. Niall embraced me, planting a quick kiss on my cheek. Breccan smiled so wide, like a proud mum watching her daughter go to prom for the first time.

“My God, you look fantastic,” Niall said, a smile lighting up his face as he wrapped one arm around my waist. "Shall we?" He gestured to the door.

“We shall,” I said, following him as he opened the door for me. We walked out into the dim twilight toward what appeared to be a grey Range Rover. Yeah, I thought, This is definitely Niall Horan. Niall opened the passenger door for me before going to get inside himself. As he turned the key, the stereo came on, blaring I Wouldn’t Mind by He Is We. I glanced over at him, a sheepish smile on his face. He reached over to turn the music down, but I just pushed his hand back and started belting out the lyrics much to his surprise.

“I’m not afraid, anymore, I’m not afraid. Forever is a long time, but I wouldn’t mind spending it by your side,” I belted out the words as loud as I could, competing against the radio. After a moment of shock, I could hear Niall join in with the song, and all I could do was enjoy the moment smiling like an idiot.

Forever, is a long, long time,” he sang, “But I wouldn’t mind spending it by your side. Tell me that everyday I get to wake up to that smile, I wouldn’t mind it, at all. I wouldn’t mind it, at all.” The song ended slowly, just the way it had began. “I didn’t think you’d know that song, Emily,” Niall said, looking over at me again as the final cords played. 

“What can I say,” I replied, grinning. “I have a weird, eclectic taste in music.” I laughed a little.

“Let’s see if you know this one,” Niall said, handing me his phone. “Look up, Stay Young, Go Dancing by Death Cab For Cutie.” I quickly scrolled through his iPod, looking for the song. I instantly recognized the album artwork.

“Yeah, I know this one,” I said, looking up from the phone. “Actually, it’s one of my favorites that they ever did. Life is sweet, in the belly of the beast, in the belly of the beast, and with a song in your heart, it could never bring you down, it could never bring you down.” I finished with the lyrics to the song. I looked over at Niall again to see a giant smile on his face. “I’ve got one for you,” I said. “Here.” I paired my phone to the car while he drove. I scanned through the list of songs on my phone, finally choosing Lost in my Mind by The Head and the Heart. As the beginning chords started to play, Niall glanced over at me with one eyebrow raised. 

“You were right,” he laughed heartily. “You do have a weird taste in music.” I pretended to be offended as I covered my mouth with my hand. “But that’s a good thing.” He smiled warmly, showing all his perfectly straight teeth for the first time. Niall finally pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. The white exterior walls gave nothing away about the lavish interior of the building. The floors were solid granite, and my heels clicked loudly as we walked through the front entryway. Quiet piano music filled the entirety of the restaurant, a slow, sweet melody ringing through the halls. The rustic candle chandeliers that hung from the high ceiling were lit, filling the rooms with dim, romantic light. The hostess led us to a table in the back of the main hall, surrounded by tall plants where we were left alone to decide what to eat.