Niall

• Dedicated to Niall Horan, One Direction

Niall

 Strawberry is single handedly the best flavor of ice cream there is, especially the kind with actual fruit chunks. I purchased my cup of pink sugar, and smiled at the cute brunette that stood behind the counter. She seemed to shy away from me at first, but smiled back anyway. As I exited the shop, I returned to my bench, and began rooting through picking out all the fruit first. It was lonely to sit here by myself, but I didn’t regret it because it had been exactly what I wanted. I quickly finished my food, and set the empty cup on the bench next to me. I glanced around the inside of the mall. Shops lined the walls, and large white tiles adorned the floors. Sounds from across the building ricocheted off the high ceiling and echoed; I could hear children screaming and laughing on the play equipment two floors away. As I sat on the bench, a group of girls who looked to be about nineteen or twenty walked past me. The brunette with long flowing waves and sea foam colored eyes walked backward in front of her friends, talking and laughing. The blond, and the one with frizzy hair trailed behind her, making jokes and laughing with her. The brunette looked over at me, smiling warmly, before turning away. She was gorgeous. Part of me wanted to follow them, but I didn’t want to be creepy about it. As the girls disappeared around the corner, I stood up and threw my trash out before following them. They walked ahead now, all putting their hands in each other’s back pockets and taking large steps left and right, obviously clowning around. I walked behind slowly, acting like I was looking into store windows, but trying to hear what they were saying.

“No, Emily, that’s so not what happened, and you know it,” I heard the blond one say. The brunette, who I’m guessing was Emily, turned her head to look at the blond, a mock shocked look on her face.

 “Yes it is, Breccan, and you know it,” she laughed musically. “You just got so drunk that you don’t remember it.”

“What don’t I remember, then?” Breccan shot back, grinning widely.

 “You danced with that dude that’s had a crush on you since the first grade, and told him you liked it,” Emily giggled, as she grabbed ahold of the frizzy haired girl and twirled in circles down the hallway, with Breccan staring on in mock horror.

 “I did not!” Breccan shouted at the others indignantly before bursting into laughter along with them.

 “Oh, James,” Emily said to the frizzy haired girl in an imitation of a man’s voice trying to keep a straight face. “I’m so glad you’re here, you’re such a good dancer.”

“Come on, Jenna, not you too!” Breccan pleaded as Jenna played along. I noticed I was starting to get a little bit too close to the group, but before I had a chance to duck into a store, Jenna twirled Emily again, and she came crashing right into me. The impact sent me sprawling onto the floor, landing hard on my back with a thud. I could feel the Emily girl land hard on top of my chest, her brown hair falling all over my face. I couldn’t help myself from taking a deep breath. This beautiful girl smelled like raspberries and peppermint. She sat up slightly, her face only inches from mine as our eyes connected for a brief second.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry,” she said, sitting up after a moment. 

“No worries,” I replied, smiling like an idiot. I quickly stood up, and offered her my hand. Emily took it without even a bit of hesitation.

“You look kind of lonely,” she commented. “You want to tag along with us? I’m sure the others wouldn’t mind. I’m Emily, by the way.” Emily smiled as she tucked some strands of her long hair behind her ears and glanced back up at me.

“It’s alright, I don’t want to intrude,” I replied even though I desperately wanted to go with her.

“No, no, I’ll feel bad,” she insisted. “Just come on-“ she trailed off waiting for me to fill in my name.

“Niall,” I said, my smile widening as I admired her slender face and large eyes. I was ultimately relieved that she had been so persistent, but I was starting to get nervous that I would be awkward. I never knew how to act around girls having been to an all boys school growing up.

“Niall,” Emily echoed me, still grinning. “Well off we go then.” She reached down and grabbed my left hand and tugged me along behind her to where her friends were waiting with astonished faces, their eyes widening as a look of mild recognition crossed their faces. I was getting slightly more nervous now, since the other girls seemed to know who I was, but Emily didn’t notice anything. “Guys, this is Niall, and he’s going to tag along with us!” Emily exclaimed bouncing up to her friends. “Niall, these are my best friends Breccan and Jenna,” she said gesturing to the other girls.

“Hi,” I said a little quietly, my thick accent coming through in my voice. I looked up at the girls, getting a good look at them for the first time. The blond was pretty, with her deep brown eyes and full lips, but she was no Emily. Jenna’s dark frizzy hair perfectly framed her long face. Her darker complexion was pretty also, but it was still no comparison to Emily. I was starting to realize that if I didn’t get this girl, I would always regret it. I would compare every girl to her, and nobody would ever be good enough. That only made me want her that much more.