Emily

• Dedicated to Niall Horan, One Direction

Emily

It felt like it had been an eternity since yesterday afternoon. Jenna and Breccan had decided to stay an extra night so they’d be able to help me get ready for my date with Niall. It was only three o’clock in the afternoon, and I was already getting that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. It might almost have been better if I had remained in the dark about his true identity. My damn friends, I thought sarcastically. Always got to ruin everything.

“Okay, here,” Breccan had finally found a pair of scissors to cut open the plastic bag that had the dress in it. “I looked all over for these! I swear, scissors are an endangered species in this house.” I looked up at her from my laptop where I’d been instructed to watch at least ten hours of One Direction interviews and cartoons in order to prepare. I’d had to read hundreds of facts and stories about Niall, and I didn’t think any of it was helping in the slightest. I closed the lid to computer and shoved it away from myself.

“I’m not going to watch any more videos or read any more facts,” I announced, which got me a disapproving scowl from Jenna and an astonished gasp from Breccan. “I want to get to know him myself, and besides, it’s not fair if I go into this knowing everything about him, and him not knowing anything about me.”

“Alright fine,” Jenna concurred. “We’ve got plenty of other things to do today. Come on.” She stood up off of the floor, and pulled me from the bed and into the bathroom. 

“What are we doing with my hair?” I asked, looking at Jenna’s reflection in the mirror. She pulled different strands of hair up, and then back down, trying to figure out the best style for the dress.

“I think it would be good to do some sort of braid,” she finally decided, looking back down at me. “Straight or curled?”

“Curled, definitely.” Jenna reached into the cabinet under the counter, and pulled out the curling wand.

“Breccan, your presence is requested in the bathroom area,” Jenna called. “We need your makeup skills.”

“Coming, one second.” There were some loud sounds of shuffling, followed by a loud thud. “Help! I’ve fangirled and I can’t get up!” she called from my bedroom floor.

“Jesus Christ,” Jenna muttered under her breath as she stalked out of the bathroom. I sat there in our makeshift hair salon station trying to contain myself as I listened to the struggle happening in the other room. “No, no, put your left foot there. No, your other left. Use your hips. Oh, for fuck sake, just stand up.” After a moment of silence, Jenna reappeared in the bathroom, her once somewhat groomed hair now a total disaster. Breccan finally decided to show up a few moments later.

“I’m too jealous of you right now, Emily,” Breccan said as she came in. “I will just let my hate fire burn, and I will turn you into something that no man in his right mind can refuse, especially Niall.” An upset Breccan is a powerful weapon, and when used right, it could create some beautiful things. Just like the time when she was so angry at her younger brother for scribbling on her wall, she bought an art set and painted a giant forest mural to cover it up. I didn’t bother to ask any other questions, I just sat back and let the two girls work their magic on me.

“Okay, open your eyes,” I heard Jenna and Breccan say all at once after nearly two hours of pinching and pulling. Slowly I cracked open my eyes to see what the final result was. My hair was amazing. Jenna had somehow managed to create a waterfall braid across the back of my head while leaving most of my hair down. The rest of my hair had been curled and ruffled up, so it looked more romantic as it framed my slender face. Breccan had created a Victoria’s Secret model with her hate fire. My teal eyes had been lined with black liner and mascara to perfection. A bit of grey eye shadow had been applied to the outside edges of my lids to give it the smoky appeal, and the look had been completed with a dusting of light blush and light lip gloss that defined my cheeks and lips like a dictionary.

“I look like a model!” I nearly shouted, a giant smile spreading over my features as I admired their work. 

“My hate fire wins again,” Breccan laughed, exchanging a look with Jenna. “Alright, time to actually get dressed.” Breccan left the bathroom followed by Jenna and I. She pulled the dress out of it’s plastic and removed the hanger, tossing it into a nearby chair, but missing it by a mile. I flinched slightly as it fell to the floor with a clatter. “Here,” she said, passing me the dress and a black strapless bra.

“Okay, turn around.” I fumbled with the bra, trying to get it to fit correctly before slipping into the dress. “Somebody zip me,” I said, finally turning back around. Breccan did the zipper and clasp.

“Now twirl,” she ordered. I was met with astonished gasps as I did, and I couldn’t help but smile, and hope that Niall did the same when he saw me.