In The Long Run (22)

When Wayne came over today, the first thing I asked him was how things went with convincing his dad against pressing charges against Nick.

"Good, I guess." he said. "He won't be pressing charges, but he's not going to let this go very soon."

"How did you get your dad to drop the charges?" I asked when we went to my room. I opened my curtains because they were still closed. It was only about nine in the morning, but Wayne was already. He lied down on my bed like he always did and I sat down next to him.

"I told him the most logical thing. We don't have proof, so there's no use in even trying to do it. The only 'witness' we have is my mom and you know as well as I do that she won't be any help."

"But that means things are okay, right? Your dad's dropping it."

"Oh, it seems that way, but believe me, he'll find a way to bring Nick down."

I didn't say anything else. I knew Wayne's dad well enough to know that he really would find a way to bring Nick down. He was a man of his word.

"Speaking of which, do you want to have dinner with me and my dad tonight? I know it's short notice, but I'd really like it if you came."

"Of course I'll come." I answered him. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I just thought this whole thing with Dad and Nick would scare you away."

"No. It doesn't have anything to do with me."

"Well, okay. We can go over around five."

"Okay."

I relaxed and leaned back, the pillow behind me supporting my back. I shuffled around until I was lying down. I turned on my side so I was facing Wayne and he lazily draped his arm around me. I closed my eyes, he kissed me on the head and I smiled. I absolutely lived for moments like these. There was movement in my abdomen and Wayne pulled his arm away, looking at me curiously.

"Was that..." he began to ask. I smiled and nodded. He looked back down at my bump. "How far along are you again?"

"Thirty-six weeks."

"Wow." he lied his hand down on my bump and ran little circles there. "I honestly can't wait anymore."

"Huh, that's easy for you to say. You're not the one who has to give birth here."

He took my hand. "Hey, I'll be there every step of the way. We'll do it together."

I looked deep into his eyes, then I started laughing. "You can be so incredibly corny sometimes. You know that?"

"So you've told me before, but at least I mean everything I say."

"I know." I said, cuddling into the crook of his neck. "And I love you for it."

We lied like that together for a while and eventually, I ended up falling asleep. I woke up when I felt someone shaking me lightly. Wayne was hovering over me, looking at me with those big eyes.

"Hey," he said quietly and smiling. "It's time to wake up sleepy-head."

"No, just give me five more minutes." I grumbled and hid my head back in the pillow. I heard him sigh and then felt the bed shift as he probably got off. I thought he actually decided to leave me alone, that is until I felt water on my face. When I opened my eyes, Wayne was flicking little drops of water at me from a glass he was holding in in hand. I sat up and wiped my face with my pillow.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked him.

"You wouldn't wake up and you'd probably like to take a shower before we go, I just helped to get you started." he said grinning.