In The Long Run (24)

I felt so warm and cozy when I woke up. Wayne's arm was loosely wrapped around me, but I liked it there. I couldn't turn around, so I just lied there staring at my closet. I didn't want to wake Wayne. Getting back to sleep wasn't exactly easy. I settled on waiting for Wayne to wake up, but a nudge in the ribs wouldn't hurt, right? I swung my elbow back, a little too roughly, and heard him take in a sharp breath. He withdrew his arm from around me to rub his stomach.

"Morning to you to." he said grumpily.

"Sorry. I couldn't sleep anymore."

"So you had to attempt to break my ribs because of that?"

"I swung a little harder than planned."

"Couldn't you just kiss me or..."

Before he could finish his sentence, my bedroom door swung open wildly and I heard Lizz's voice after Wayne and I let out shrieks of surprise.

"I brought you some tea, little sis." she said and then she noticed Wayne in the bed next to me. "Whoa, I didn't know I should've made two cups."

"There's this thing called knocking." I told her snippily. "It's something people in the civilized world do before they enter a room."

"Hey, I didn't think you'd have a stow-away in here and besides, it's not like you guys are naked."

"Thank goodness for that." I said. "Now can you please leave?"

"Chill out, I'm on my way. Just for the record though, next time you and Wayne plan a little romantic evening like this, give a girl a heads up please." She put the cup of tea down on the side-table next to Wayne.

"I didn't even know he was coming until he was here." I told her, a little exasperated.

"Plan it out better next time." she said and left the room, closing the door behind her. I fell back into the pillows and heaved a sigh. I turned to look at Wayne and he gave me a tender look.

"Want me to hand you your tea?" he asked sweetly.

"Yes please."

I sat up and he handed me my cup of tea. The cup was nice and warm, but not too hot and when I took a sip, it was just as sweet as I liked it. Lizz always made the best tea. Wayne had laid back down next to me, his hands behind his head and his eyes closed.  I felt the slight steam from the tea rise up and touch my chin and nose. This was a very comfortable situation.

"I hope this is the way we wake up everyday after we're married." I said into my cup.

Wayne smiled, but didn't open his eyes. "I won't be the one bringing you tea, sorry."

"Maybe the kids will love me enough to bring me tea."

He opened his eyes and looked at me. "Plurals again?"

"Yeah, I see us with more kids. I don't want just one."

"I'm not saying I mind more kids, let's just get past the first one and get married, then we can have as many kids as you want."

"How about five?" I joked.

"Sure, but I'll only help you make them. After that you're on your own."

"That's not very nice."

"You know I'm kidding." he said as he sat up and scooted closer to me, wrapping his arms around me. "I'll be there for each and every one of them."

I smiled and put my head in his neck. "I know you will, but I think two would be just fine."

"Good." he kissed my head. "Five would be a little too expensive."