My Best Friend, My Worst Enemy! - Part 1

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This story is my own continuation of the events of the comic 'What If...? Dark: Spider-Gwen', a story in which Spider-Man died on the Brooklyn Bridge instead of Gwen Stacy. Scenes in this story are primarily based on the events of 'Amazing Spider-Man #124-130', along with various other issues.

Many thanks to jettmanas, who kindly did the cover art and additional illustrations for this story.

All characters and concepts are owned by Marvel. This story is written for entertainment purposes, with no copyright infringement intended.

******

The torrential clap of thunder echoed loudly through the sky, as the thick, dark storm clouds hung ominously over the city of New York. The relentless downpour of rain continued to cascade down the rooftops, through the drain pipes and into the gutters of the city streets at the bottom. Those having to traverse along the streets with their coats and umbrellas mumbled complaints about the weather, and some even swore as they got soaked by cars splashing puddles at them.

 Those having to traverse along the streets with their coats and umbrellas mumbled complaints about the weather, and some even swore as they got soaked by cars splashing puddles at them

This miserable weather perfectly reflected the equally wretched mood of Wilson Fisk, the notorious Kingpin of Crime. Although warm and dry in his office at the top level of his office block headquarters, it did nothing to relieve him of his feelings of intense displeasure, as he gazed out through the large glass window and onto the view of his city outside, his fist clenched tightly over the top of his cane. For the past week, the criminal rackets under his control have been subjugated to a series of attacks by the masked madman known as the Green Goblin. Several profitable, albeit illegal, ventures have been seriously disrupted, such as gambling interests and diamond smuggling operations, as they found themselves getting literally bombed out of existence.

Fisk had at first been puzzled by the Goblin's apparent declaration of war on him. But an anonymous message, delivered two days ago along with the head of one of the Kingpin's most loyal lieutenants, made the position clear. The Goblin wanted a cut of all criminal operations in New York, and these attacks were merely a demonstration of the Goblin's power, to show how formidable he was, and to force Fisk into a position to negotiate on the madman's terms.

Fisk could not help but admire the Goblin's sheer audacity. But if the masked lunatic thought that he could intimidate the mighty Kingpin, he was in for a disappointment. Fisk had no intention of bowing to anyone, and he had some extensive research done by his men, which had brought some interesting revelations to light. Revelations that might make the Goblin think twice before he made any further attempts to muscle in on the Kingpin's business.

As Fisk mused over all this, he was unsurprised to see the figure of the Goblin, flying through the stormy sky on his Goblin Glider, straight towards the Kingpin's office. Even from this distance, Fisk could make out the manic grin on the Goblin's grotesque green mask and the sheer look of insanity in his eyes. But this did not bother the Kingpin one bit. Although he was a bit annoyed when the Goblin came crashing through the window, sending shards of glass all over the carpeted floor, before he took up a hovering position directly in front of Fisk.