The Mark Of The Wolf-Man - Part 4

Moving quickly, Spider-Woman managed to grab the bottom of the glass cage with her gloved hands and stop its movement, before it could hit the floor and trap her. Using her incredible spider-strength, Gwen forced the cylinder upwards with a tremendous heave, enabling her to leap clear. As she did so, releasing her grip on the cylinder in the process, her would-be prison hit the floor with a loud crash behind her, prompting alarm sirens to begin wailing.

Before Spider-Woman could catch her breath, two figures came bounding through an open doorway to confront her. One was a large, muscular individual, whose body looked like it was made of orange rocks, while the other was a young blonde-haired man, dressed in a slim-fitting blue jumpsuit with the number '4' on his chest. Gwen instantly recognised them as respectively being the musclebound Thing and the flaming Human Torch.

 Gwen instantly recognised them as respectively being the musclebound Thing and the flaming Human Torch

"Okay, what the Sam Hill is going on 'round here?" demanded the Thing.

"Hey, it's that Spider-Dame that's replaced old web-head!" exclaimed Johnny Storm, pointing an accusing finger at Spider-Woman. "Flame on!"

Before Spider-Woman's startled eyes, Storm's body instantly became engulfed in flames and he flew up into the air, and dived right at her. With a yelp, Spider-Woman jumped out of the way and began bounding from wall-to-wall, trying to avoid getting hit by the Human Torch or one of the fireballs he sent flying her way.

"Hey! Is this the way you greet all your visitors?" complained Spider-Woman as she continued dodging the Torch's attacks, annoyed that she had not even been given a chance to introduce herself.

"Visitor or gatecrasher?" said the Torch, as he continued pursuing the masked girl back and forth along the corridor. "Besides which, I betting you're connected to Spidey's recent disappearing act and I'd like some answers!"

"Sheesh, you really are as hotheaded as I've heard!" snorted Spider-Woman, as she swung about on her webs. Spotting a nearby water cooler, she quickly snagged it with a web-line and swung it right into the Torch. With a crash and a splash, the Torch collided with the cooler, which burst apart and drenched him in water, putting out his flame and sending him falling to the floor with a loud thud.

"Okay, you two, pack it in!" snapped the Thing, as he stomped through the resulting steam and towered over Spider-Woman. "Right lady, perhaps you better start explainin' yerself, before I start getting nasty myself."

"If you must know, I need to see Reed Richards," said Spider-Woman irritably. "It's a matter of life and death!"

Hurriedly, Spider-Woman explained her reason for coming, and as she did so, the expressions of the Thing and the Human Torch grew more serious as they realised the gravity of the situation.

"Dang it! Of all the times for Reed and Sue to be away on vacation!" grumbled the Thing, slapping his forehead in frustration. "But don't worry, kid. I'll contact Reed on the radio and see if he has some gizmo here that might help yer furball pal."