The Mark Of The Wolf-Man - Part 3

Thanks to the recuperative powers she had gained from the spider serum, Gwen awoke the next morning feeling fully recovered, although she found she had to use a reasonable amount of make-up to cover the purple bruise on her forehead. She counted herself lucky that she had no classes at ESU that day, because she had a great deal of work to do tracking down the Wolf-Man, especially with her new theory about the creature. If what she suspected was true, then John Jameson was in even greater and more terrifying trouble than everyone first believed.

Gwen had not yet gotten the hang of using her spider-sense to pick up spider-tracer signals, as she found it hard to differentiate the tingles it caused her from ones warning her of danger. Luckily, when Gwen had rummaged amongst Peter's equipment some weeks ago, she had found an old handheld tracker unit, which she managed to deduce was designed to pick up the signals from the tracers. The device was in a bit of a sorry state from disuse, but Gwen had been able to use her own scientific know-how to reverse engineer the device and build one of her own. The new tracker was less cumbersome in design, with a monitor screen that would display the location of any tracer signal it picked up within a certain mile radius.

Gwen smiled to herself as she picked up the tracker device from the box of equipment she kept hidden away, thinking how impressed Peter would have been if he could see how she had been able to improve on his original designs. Pulling her mask back over her head, Spider-Woman leapt through the apartment window and resumed her search for the Wolf-Man, swinging through the air from one part of Manhattan to another. She had spent several hours searching, when the tracker unit finally began giving an enthusiastic bleeping sound, and her spider-sense started to tingle urgently.

"A-ha! Looks like I may have found the not-so-friendly neighbourhood Wolf-Man," Spider-Woman remarked to herself, as she followed the tracer signal to a disused building, scheduled for demolition in a month's time. Slipping quietly in through an open window, Gwen quietly made her way through the dusty and shadowy corridors, her whole body tense, ready for any trouble that might come her way. To her disgust, she saw a rat scurrying past, its vicious-looking eyes almost glowing in the gloom as it gave the costumed girl a filthy expression, before it disappeared from sight through a hole in the rotting floorboards.

 To her disgust, she saw a rat scurrying past, its vicious-looking eyes almost glowing in the gloom as it gave the costumed girl a filthy expression, before it disappeared from sight through a hole in the rotting floorboards

There came a faint groan from one of the old rooms on the top landing, and as Spider-Woman slowly came over and peered past the ajar door, her eyes widened behind the lenses of her mask. Set against a wall was a manky and worn-out sofa, on top of which was spread out the dishevelled and slumbering figure of John Jameson. He looked an absolute mess, his whole body bathed with sweat and his face contorted in fear and distress.

But it was what the man was wearing that really caught Gwen's eye. A tattered yellow-and-green suit, the design and material of which resembled a spacesuit, the kind used by astronauts for missions to the moon. It was an outfit that Spider-Woman recognised at once, having seen it used by her furry opponent during the fight the night before. And if that was not proof enough of her fantastic theory, she could see her spider-tracer, firmly stuck to the Colonel's back, exactly where it had landed after she had thrown it.