My Best Friend, My Worst Enemy! - Part 2

It was many hours before Gwen Stacy awoke, and when she did, she was amazed to find that she was not only alive, but she actually felt incredibly energised. She felt properly good, for the first time in so many long months. The storm clouds had cleared and gloriously warm sunshine was shinning through the window and onto her refreshed form, spread out on the bed.

Climbing off the bed and getting to her feet, Gwen walked over to the long mirror on the wall and gazed at her reflection, relieved to see that she had not been left with a giant spider head and several hairy limbs. Externally, she looked the same as she had before she had drunk the potion. But Gwen could feel that something in her had changed. As she picked up the clock sitting on the table by her bed, to check how long she had slept, Gwen was startled when, with the simplest squeezing of her grip, the clock broke apart in her hand like it was made of cardboard! Clearly her strength had increased considerably, and Gwen began to wonder almost giddily what other abilities she had gained.

Making her way brightly into the sitting room, Gwen crossed over to the nearest wall and slowly pressed her left hand against it. To her amazement, she could feel her fingertips and palm sticking to the wall, like they had invisible suction cups attached. Her excitement growing with every second, Gwen pressed her other hand against the wall, then her left foot, and finally the right. Then, slowly and experimentally, she began to scurry up the wall and along the ceiling, until she was in the centre of the room, her long blonde hair cascading downwards as she hung there upside-down!

 Then, slowly and experimentally, she began to scurry up the wall and along the ceiling, until she was in the centre of the room, her long blonde hair cascading downwards as she hung there upside-down!

A broad grin crept across Gwen's face. She had done it! Working in the dark, with no knowledge of the original process that had created Spider-Man, she had managed to give herself the same (or at least similar) powers that Peter Parker seemed to have had.

Leaping off the ceiling and landing gracefully on the floor, with reflexes she had never had before, Gwen hurried back to her room and dug out Peter's old web-shooters, which she snapped shut around her wrists, before she then got out the spider-costume she had made and hidden away. It was essentially a red-and-black version of Peter's old costume, but with the addition of a dark-green zip-through hoodie and knee-high black leather boots, which she quickly put on, before she made her way discreetly to the staircase that led to the top of the building, headed up and emerged through a door onto the rooftop.

THWIP!