Christmas With The Punisher - Part 2

After retrieving her everyday clothes and changing back into her civilian identity of Gwen Stacy, the blonde ESU student headed over to the residence where Mary Jane's Aunt Anna lived. Upon arriving, Gwen found everyone seated in the living room having tea, all looking surprisingly chirpy, considering all the heartache they had been though.

"Hiya Gwendy!" said Mary Jane with a smile. "Did you get that stuff sorted at the library okay?"

"Oh yeah, swell," said Gwen, glad that Mary Jane had established a believable alibi for her. "Hello, Mrs Parker. I'm glad to see you're doing okay, after what happened to Doctor Octavius."

"Oh, that's nice of you dear," said May Parker with a warm smile. "But you needn't worry about an old lady like me. It has been a difficult time lately, but as I once told Peter, we Parkers are tougher than we look."

"Well, I suppose I better go and get some more tea on the go," said Anna Watson, as she picked up the teapot and headed to the kitchen.

"I'll help you out, Aunt Anna," said Mary Jane helpfully, picking up the used cups and following her Aunt, leaving Gwen momentarily alone with Peter's Aunt.

"Now, how have you been doing, dear?" May asked Gwen. "I haven't seen much of you since... since Peter's funeral."

"Oh, I've been coping, Mrs Parker," sighed Gwen. "It's just... been hard you know. It's been months now, and I still miss Peter terribly."

"I know, dear," said May understandingly. "I miss him too. But he wouldn't want you to spend the rest of your days mourning for him."

"Yeah, I do get that. But I made a promise to try and honour Peter's memory, and sometimes... it feels like I'm letting him down, no matter how hard I try to do otherwise. There are times I wish... that I was the one who died at that bridge, instead of him."

"Now, young lady, you must try not to think like that," said May firmly. "Peter gave his life for you because you were special to him, because he loved you for the kind-hearted person you are. However much I mourn for him, however painful it is for me to have lost him in the same way as my husband, Ben, I'm also proud of what Peter did. He stood by his sense of responsibility right to the end, and so long as we all remember that, he can have no better tribute. Now I know that these are trying times for you, probably more than the rest of us, but you mustn't give up on yourself or give in to despair, however bleak things may seem. Just remember more the good times you had with Peter, and let that encourage you to find new happiness, rather than let the bad memories make you bitter, angry and lonely."

Gwen gave a hopeful smile, feeling a bit more encouraged by this

Gwen gave a hopeful smile, feeling a bit more encouraged by this. "Thanks, Mrs Parker. I think I really needed to hear that. And you're right. I shouldn't give up so easily. If I want to do Peter proud, then I have to stay true to myself, as well as stick to the principles my Dad taught me, no matter how hard things get."

"That's the spirit, Gwen," grinned Mary Jane, as she and her Aunt came back into the living room. "Say, Mrs Parker, I was telling Gwen earlier that Betty Brant is holding a party on Christmas Eve. Maybe you and Aunt Anna might like to tag along too."