The Prey Of The Vulture - Part 2

"Huh?" said Gwen, giving Jean a puzzled look. "What do you mean he couldn't have done it?"

"I did some checking of my own, and the real Vulture, Adrian Toomes, is still in prison," explained DeWolff. "So it looks like we've got ourselves a copycat on the run."

Gwen mused over this

Gwen mused over this. If there was a new Vulture on the loose, then that might go some way explaining why he had those clawed hands and superhuman strength that the original Vulture did not have. But where did he come from in the first place, and why did he kill that poor girl?

As if someone had read Gwen's mind, one of the desk sergeants came in with a file in his hand. "We've got an identification on the murder victim, Captain. Her name's Gloria Jenkins, student at ESU, lives in the same building as our Ms Watson."

"Any friends or relatives living with her?" asked Jean.

"Yeah, a roommate by the name of Christine Murrow."

This immediately caught Gwen's full attention. "Wait a minute, I know Christine. We go to some of the same bio-chemistry classes together. She works as the assistant to one of the Campus instructors, a Doctor Shallot I think his name is. Last I heard they were working on some organic mutation experiments together."

"Sheesh, the plot thickens, doesn't it?" muttered Jean. "Anything else we know about this Shallot character?"

"As a matter of fact, Cap'n, I did do some additional checking on this Murrow girl," said the Sergeant, "and apparently, this Professor was in possession of an outfit requisitioned from the State Prison Authority."

"Which outfit?" demanded DeWolff, leaning forward in her chair, her eyes as sharp and alert like the Vulture she wanted to bring in for murder.

"One Vulture suit, belonging to Adrian Toomes," said the Sergeant simply. "D'ya think there's a connection?"

"If there isn't, I'll eat my badge!" snapped DeWolff as she grabbed her coat. "Get me the exact address of Shallot's residence, Munroe, and get me the details of which lab he works in at ESU. I'm gonna go and have a few quiet words with our Doctor Shallot."

"You want me to tag along, Jean?" asked Gwen.

"No thanks, kid, this could be dangerous," said Jean briskly as she made her way down the corridor. "Look, your friend will be safe here, so why don't you head on home and get some rest."

"Yeah, sure thing," said Gwen. As Jean DeWolff made her way to her car, Gwen said good night to Mary Jane, promising to check on her in the morning, and headed out of the station. Once she was far enough away from the Police Precinct, Gwen darted into a shadowy alcove where no one could see her change, and she remerged seconds later as Spider-Woman.

 Once she was far enough away from the Police Precinct, Gwen darted into a shadowy alcove where no one could see her change, and she remerged seconds later as Spider-Woman