Footsteps of Doom

March 15, Third Age 3019

Before she could fathom the passage of time, the news of war was in the wind. After two decades, her golden armour saw the light of day. A war camp was established around the halls of the woodland realm. Thus the northern battle of the War of the Ring began.

Her chest heaved a relieved sigh as the tent flaps closed behind her and the night air washed through her hair. It was quite chilly, even though spring had already begun—at least in the outer world. The few passersby offered her a quick glance and walked away. Hammers blew infinitely on the anvil, and the fires roared throughout the camp as the elves honed their blades and watched over the south and east.

Warmth seeped from her left, from where several elves scattered about a blazing fire. Norves looked up from the arrow shaft she was polishing and offered a nod in acknowledgement as she approached.

"Bad sleep?" She inquired as Erenien sat down beside her on the fallen log.

She nodded in assent and sighed, her breath fogging the air. The wood cracked and burned, and the sound soothed her tumultuous mind.

"Here, it helps calm the nerves."

She looked questioningly down towards the flagon. Cold was seeping up from her fingertips. Gratefully, she accepted the wine and gulped down a mouthful, wincing as it burned a path down her body.

"Thanks," she mumbled, returning it.

"The night is still young. There is enough time for another sleep." Norves whispered, placing the polished shaft into a stack of them and taking another one.

"I should get some," she sighed and looked up at the sky. Her eyes were heavy, and her body yearned for rest after the chores of the previous days. The human fragment of her demanded rest more frequently than others. Erenien looked at her tent pensively. She wondered if the furtive glances thrown at her by the gathered elves were because of the scream that woke her.

"You had a really bad dream," Norves stated without looking up.

"Yes," she gulped. "How did you..." her voice trailed off.

"Your eyes speak louder than your voice, which itself was quite loud."

"What did you hear?" she asked, mortified.

"Your scream. Don't worry, they won't tell anyone." Norves said calmly, turning the shaft in her hands.

Erenien sighed. Wonderful! Everyone now knows you had a bad dream!

Not just one bad dream, her mind quipped.

"You had one yesterday and the day before." She simply stated. "Out with it, if you don't mind."

It didn't come as a surprise since Norves was, in fact, showing up everywhere she went, always watching her, even when she went to sleep.

"It's just nothing," Erenien sighed.

"It's not nothing if it keeps you awake even when you're dead tired." Norves raised an eyebrow.

"Fine." Erenien stared at the fire, mentally going through the images that had been repeating in her head for the past few days. "If we are having the same dream every day, what does that mean?"

"Well, it might be something that bothers your mind if it has happened already."

"No, it hasn't yet."

"In that case, it could be a vision or a warning so that you will be better prepared. What was it?" Norves asked, taking a new shaft and carefully rubbing it with an oil cloth.