Chapter 1 Viviana

"Thank you for choosing burger supreme I'm Viviana how can I help you ?" Another day in this boring town and underpaid job. I stood at the drive-thru window listening to another customer order food that would no doubt give the one ingesting it acne and clogged arteries. "  Yes I'll take four burgers with mayo and four large fries." At least this customer knew what they wanted. Ringing her up I take her money at the window before pulling her around to park in front.   I had just turned 21 and had nothing to show for it except for this dead end job and boyfriend although I did have Nisiah,he had been my best friend since Middle school and was also my coworker.
     Nisiah was olive complected, muscular built standing six foot one and had he most gorgeous hazel eyes that you could get lost in for days and at the moment he was the best thing in my life and this job. " your order is ready,do you want me to take it out for you?" Thanks Nisiah but ill take it, I need some air anyway.".  I grab the order not bothering to put in ketchup or napkins, to be honest it was just one of those days where I was to lost in my thoughts. I bring the lady her order turning around walking back inside looking up to see Nisiah staring at me with an odd look on his face. "What's the look for?" He smirks " nothing Vivi you just look distracted." I scrunch My face at the nickname, which apparently amuses Nisiah who now has a huge smile on his face. " It's nothing just ready to go,it's slow ,raining and I would rather be cuddled with a book instead of killing off townies with this food. He laughs shaking his head." As true as that statement may be you only have thirty minutes left and then you can go home to your books and boyfriend and read until your hearts content." I shrug walking back to the window watching the clouds and lightning in the distance. The mention of my boyfriend brought me back to my earlier thoughts. I have been in a relationship for a year and the honeymoon phase was more than over. Lucian and I met at a random party that Nisiah had dragged me to because quote " I was to pretty to stay couped up like an old lady giving up on her vagina.
  I spotted Lucian from across the room hanging out with a group of stoners, and there was something about him that I just couldn't take my eyes off of him. Lucian stood five nine, dark complected with chocolate brown eyes and a Scorpio tattoo on his neck. Everything about him screamed danger especially when he smiled.  He caught me staring and walked over to introduce himself,got my number and that was that. SIx months later he moved in, lost his job,started drinking , gambling and on occasion depending on how his day was going he would use me as his personal punching bag,always making sure never to hit anywhere that could be seen, of course no one knew what was happening partially because I hoped that I could love him enough to change him, by mostly I felt like people would just tell me that I deserved it because I stayed. So I just kept it secret even from Nisiah ,he had always been so protective of me.  " Vivi, Vivi?" Nisiah calls my name waving his hands in front of my face trying to grab my attention. " you have been looking out the window for the last thirty minutes, are you coming or did you plan on working tonight too?". I scoff " Not even If they paid me double!" Not realizing I had drifted in my thoughts that long. Nisiah chuckles heading towards the door. " I will see you tomorrow Vivi."
  I waved goodbye and started doing preclose, before handing the headset over to my replacement and clocking out. I lived ten minutes from my job, which was another good thing about my job. My apartment wasn't very big. It was a one bedroom with a small living room attached to the kitchen and a hallway that led to my bedroom which had a large bathroom and reading nook next to my bedroom window that I was absolutely in love with. Walking into my apartment I get out of my uniform grabbing a quick shower before throwing on my PJs ,grabbing a book and getting comfortable in my reading nook, when I hear the door open. " Viviana?" I sit my book down stepping into the hallway where Lucian was standing holding a twelve pack of beer and a fifth of whisky, rolling my eyes " yes dear?" He smirks at my response and something about it made me sick to my stomach. " you got my money?" I sigh thinking of how to respond, trying not to retort in a way that would anger him. " I don't get paid until tomorrow and I have to pay rent first." His smirk fades into a familiar scowl. " lucky I'm in a good mood or id knock you into the wall for that attitude of yours ." " I don't have an attitude I was just saying I had to pay rent before I can give you the rest." Lucian nods in understanding heading to the kitchen to put his beer in the fridge before turning on the game , taking a swig of his whiskey, ignoring me I walk back into my bedroom getting comfortable once again before finishing where I left off. The rest of the day passes pretty quickly. I close my book and walk in the living room to find Lucian past out on the couch whisky bottle still in hand and several empty beer cans on the floor beside him, I throw a blanket over him neglecting to pick up his trash. I didn't have to work tomorrow anyway so I would clean house after I got my check and paid the rent, plus Lucian usually disappears all day to run the streets and gamble away what little money we had left.. I sigh heading to the bedroom. Knowing this was my life killed a part of me , but I was to full of hope that Lucian would change to think about leaving him.