Chapter 2: Because You Are My Wife

Upon hearing the announcement, Lin Yuzhen trembled slightly. She lifted her head, looking at Lin Xia, her grandfather, who seemed to have never cared about her from childhood to adulthood. Even when she was born, Lin Xia didn't come to see her simply because she was a girl. Now, he was making decisions about her life by choosing her husband.

Lin Yuzhen's chest heaved with anger and frustration. She considered speaking up, but then she noticed Lin Wen, sitting in a wheelchair, shaking his head at her with pleading eyes. She couldn't bring herself to speak.

"Everyone, after careful selection by our Lin family from among over a dozen outstanding suitors, we have chosen the most outstanding one to be Yuzhen's husband. I hope you will all give your blessings to the newlyweds!" Lin Xia announced, and applause filled the room.

To Lin Yuzhen, it sounded like they were mocking her and perhaps even pitying her. Her eyes welled up with tears, but she fought hard to hold them back.

"Dad, this is the person," Lin Qiang said, presenting a delicate card to Lin Xia, with the chosen man's name written on it. They had thoroughly investigated this man. He had no background, was an orphan, was over thirty years old, had a low education, lacked any particular skills, and had spent his life as a drifter. In fact, he had intermittent mental illnesses, which were said to be hereditary.

With this choice, not only would Lin Yuzhen be completely cut off from the Lin family's wealth, but her children, if any, wouldn't receive a single cent from the Lin family either.

Lin Qiang glanced at Lin Yuzhen's family with a hint of satisfaction. "Next, I'll announce the final selection."

Lin Xia, with his aging eyes, squinted and carefully examined the card. He then declared, "The lucky young man who will become Lin Yuzhen's husband is... Jiang Ning!"

Instantly, everyone turned their heads toward the hotel's back door. The newcomer, as an "incoming son-in-law," had to enter through the back door. The door opened, and a young man walked in.

Lin Wen and his wife couldn't bear to look. They knew that their older brother would choose the least competent person as Lin Yuzhen's husband.

Lin Yuzhen, on the other hand, turned to get a glimpse of the man who was about to become her husband. Jiang Ning lifted his head, and their eyes met, a silent exchange between them.

He walked toward her, with everyone in the room looking at him. Their expressions were filled with mockery and schadenfreude. "Jiang Ning, congratulations on standing out and becoming Lin Yuzhen's husband, as well as the Lin family's son-in-law," Lin Qiang said. "You don't need to thank us. We only hope that you'll treat Yuzhen well in the future."

In his view, the Lin family had given Jiang Ning, a wandering orphan, a home. That was already a great favor.

Lin Qiang approached Lin Yuzhen, gently taking her hand, showing concern on his face. "Yuzhen, come."

He led Lin Yuzhen to Jiang Ning and placed her hand solemnly in his. The guests applauded, as if this were a joyous engagement.

However, Lin Wen's family knew that everyone was simply laughing at them. Tomorrow, the entire East Sea City would know that Lin Yuzhen had married an incompetent man, and they would become the subject of ridicule.

Lin Yuzhen's mind went blank, and she felt as if she had been drained of all emotion. She couldn't hear or see anything, and she didn't even know when the banquet ended.

After the banquet, Su Mei left in tears, and Lin Wen had to roll his wheelchair to catch up with her. At the hotel entrance, the wind blew on her face, and Lin Yuzhen finally regained her senses.

She looked at Jiang Ning, who was standing beside her, her expression blank, and her voice hoarse. "Mister, I don't blame you."

She spoke softly, "You are also a pitiable person."

Jiang Ning was ten years older than her, so calling him "mister" seemed more appropriate.

Jiang Ning remained silent, from beginning to end.

In front of him was the same girl from fifteen years ago, still so kind. Even in this situation, despite the injustice, she had accepted it for the sake of her parents.

"Hey, cousin, congratulations!"

Suddenly, a person walked out from the entrance and greeted them with a smile. "Congratulations on finding an outstanding husband for yourself, cousin."

The emphasis on "outstanding" was deliberate, filled with sarcasm.

Lin Yuzhen frowned and bit her lip, her fists clenched.

"I'm doing this for your own good," Lin Feng sighed deliberately. "Your dad has been disabled for so many years, and if it weren't for the Lin family supporting you, your family of three would have starved to death long ago. Now, they've gone through so much trouble to find you a husband, and you're not even grateful. You even want to hit me. If Grandfather finds out that you wanted to hit me, the consequences..."

Lin Yuzhen's body trembled.

She looked at Lin Feng in anger and helplessness. How could someone be so shameless?

She turned to leave, but Lin Feng blocked her way.

"Yuzhen, this is Grandfather's decision. If you're not satisfied, talk to him about it," Lin Feng said.

Lin Yuzhen was close to tears, her face pale. Lin Feng would surely harm Jiang Ning if she dared to do anything.

"What do you want to do now?" Suddenly, Jiang Ning, who had been silent all along, spoke up.

Lin Yuzhen looked at him, surprised that he had finally spoken. She hesitated before uttering, "I just want to give him a slap."

"Smack!"

The moment she spoke, a clear sound of a slap echoed in the air. Lin Feng held his face, falling to the ground before he could even scream.

The stinging sensation on his face made him realize that the slap had landed on his own cheek. Jiang Ning had struck him!

Lin Feng was stunned, and so was Lin Yuzhen. Jiang Ning, an incoming son-in-law, had actually dared to raise his hand against Lin Feng?

He was just supposed to be a husband chosen to be humiliated, wasn't he?

"Why did you listen to me?" Lin Yuzhen managed to move her lips.

"Because, now you're my wife," Jiang Ning replied.