CHAPTER 48

"That's the renowned Tower of Pisa, huh? It's really tilted." I nonchalantly said while snacking on a burrito.

"They said that tower began to lean like that in the 12th century. Since it was placed in a soft ground, it can't handle the weight, so it eventually sinks. Then it worsened when they have completed the construction in 14th century." Lucius said after swallowing a large bite on his cheeseburger. After then, he surveyed the building once more with an unimpressed expression. "I don't really get the point in building this thing. Why does everybody love this foolish mistake in disguise? Why are those people of the past such idiots?" I just looked at my son and smiled. I badly want to tell him not to slander innocent people with his harsh criticisms but decided to kill the idea instead. I have a feeling that even if I tell him that, it still won't go well.

"Well, it's nice that you've done your research." Nasabi ko nalang. His brows met and irritation was vivid in his hazel eyes.

"It was built 55.86 meters from the ground on the low side, 56.67 meters on the high side. The width of the walls at the base is 2.44 m. It weighs of the estimated 14,500 tons. They also said the inside has 296 or 294 something steps while the seventh floor has two fewer steps on the top staircase. Tch, those idiots really." He said in contempt. I looked at his face and notice that he's staring intently at the corners of the tower. Napangiti nalang ako.

'Son, why do you have to be so mad? Those creators were long dead, you know?'

"Son, perhaps are you interested in building infrastructures?" I carefully asked instead. Setting his concerns aside, I'm just satisfied to get to know him more. Every time I learn anything about him, it amuses me.

It's been two years ever since I woke up from coma. Those years were spent most on travelling and spending time with my son, Lucius. I still couldn't believe how fast time flies and the time I spent with him which felt just like a couple of months is two years now. He's turned six years old, and honestly, a child like him should already be attending school instead of wandering around the globe with his mother, but I can't send him away yet.

Of course, his studies weren't neglected. I assumed the role of both a mother and a teacher and I have been homeschooling him since last year. It wasn't very hard to teach him. In fact, it's a little scary how he's already a few years ahead of other kids who attend school at his age. Just last month, he finished a unit which is supposedly taught to third graders. And just a while ago, he was already mentioning something like Pythagorean and Calculus. For some reason he kind of reminded me of Khalil. Is this kid really my son or his?

I stared at the child, and he finally turned to look at me. I gulped as I saw his face again. Perhaps, this kid takes after his father. I haven't meet Lucas as a child and it feels like a century to even try to remember how he was like from the novel, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was like this when he was a kid.

"Not really building but designing them." He said, bringing me back to reality. Napangiti ako nang maalala ang pinag-uusapan namin. Right, if this is the path he wants to take, our family will have a future. My smile turned into a wide grin as a continue looking at him, then he gazed at me strangely.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm still your mother." I squinted my eyes on him. He blankly stared at me.

"You're smiling so big that you look weird, Mom." He straightforwardly said without batting an eyelid. I sighed.

"Look at this guy to his mother. I'm not weird, it's just because I imagine how you'll going to make your grandfather dance in glee." I hopelessly said. I noticed how my words has sparked an interesting expression from him.