1

now that I know you exist, how do I not love you?

"It's not going to change the longer you stare at it," Wes Hicks told his twin sister, Willa. "If anything, the words will just begin to look like they're not words at all."

Willa glanced over, rolling her eyes before smiling at him. "I know, I just hate that I don't have any classes with you."

"Us getting classes together is highly unlikely considering we're taking different subjects. Not to mention we are siblings, and they try to avoid putting relatives together for some stupid reason." Wes explained, leaning against the island.

Willa sat her schedule down, watching her brother from across the counter. "Chad and Mindy have a few classes together."

"And they just got lucky. They're also not close in the way we are." Wes shrugged, not thinking too much about it.

"So you think that the authorities and whoever else comes up with the schedule knows we're close siblings and specifically put it to where we couldn't be in any classes together?" Willa grabbed an apple from the fruit basket.

Wes noticed her beginning to pick at it, so he grabbed a couple of items from throughout the kitchen. A knife to cut the apple, a plate to put it on, and a paper towel for her to wipe her hands. The girl kindly smiled at her brother for the gesture, beginning to cut the apple into smaller slices so it was easier to eat.

"I'm not really saying that, Will." Wes finally responded, resting his hands on the counter. "I'm just saying they probably try not to put people with the same last name in the same classes to make it easier for both the students and the teachers. Chad and Mindy getting in one or two classes together is just... a coincidence."

"Excuse my language, but it's a dumb coincidence," Willa spoke before throwing a slice of apple in her mouth. "Mom washed these, right?" She then asked, picking another slice up.

"No, but I did." Wes took one of the slices, tossing it in his mouth. "You really think we would put it in the bowl if not?"

"Just making sure," Willa mumbled, eating another slice. "What are your plans after school?"

"Probably the usual. Hang out with Tara and the others." Wes shrugged. When Willa ate her last apple slice he was quick to grab the trash and dishes.

Willa watched him as he threw the apple core and paper towel away, rinsing the knife and plate off before shoving it into the dishwasher. He then turned back to his sister, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why do you ask?"

"I just-" She stopped for a second. "I have a shift tonight at the theatre, and I was really wanting you to walk me."

"Well, I can just let Tara-"

"No no!" Willa was quick to cut her brother off. "I don't want you to cancel or postpone your plans. I'm fine walking alone, I just didn't want to if I didn't have to."

"And you don't have to." Wes pressed his lips together, "What about your coworker, Jo?"

"He's going to be late, something about football practice." Willa shrugged, "I'm fine walking alone, Wes, I'll be okay."

"Well, now that I know you're going alone I think I would rather cancel my plans." Wes countered, glancing at his watch. "We better get going or we're going to be late for school. Don't want to be late on our first day, do we?"

"I guess so," Willa told her brother. She got off the stool and grabbed her schedule and backpack, waiting for Wes before leaving the house.

She watched as he grabbed his taser, earning an eye roll from her. "We're going to school, do you really need that thing?"