Chapter 11

Chapter 11

— WREN'S POV —

My off day had passed quickly, most of it spent reading and gardening and the evening was spent with Wolfy as I told him all about how dinner had gone and gushed like a teenage girl about my walk home. His tail never missing a beat as it continued to wag the whole time I talked.

Frida and I were currently in the greenhouse as customers mingled around, our conversation light while we pruned and watered plants. She had told me about her family emergency which ended up being her cousin falling and shattering her hip but thankfully she had gotten through surgery well and was now on the road to recovery and resting at the hospital. Frida and I had quickly gotten close and I learned she didn't have any siblings of her own but she was extremely close with her extended family throughout her life which I was glad to hear about. Everyone deserved to have a family who loved and cared for them, especially someone as sweet as her.

The hours passed slowly but in Frida's company it was impossible to be bored. Our conversations never finding a lull and her attitude never once falling short of anything but sunshine.

After saying my goodbyes at the end of the day I decided to head to the diner a few buildings down, the cozy little building capturing my attention the other day while I had made my way to the book store. As I entered I was immediately hit with the smell of oil, burgers and old leather, the scent making my stomach growl, finally realizing how hungry I was. I made my way to a small booth in the back, the old leather of the seat groaning in protest as I sat.

"Hi miss, what can I get for you today?"

I looked up at the waitress, she looked to be about high school age, her curly blonde hair pulled up in a pony tail as she gave me a smile that reached her jaw dropping blue eyes.

I smiled back glancing at the menu quickly.

"Could I just get a cheeseburger and a strawberry milkshake please?"

She nodded, her curls bouncing as they did.

"That'll be out shortly for you." She smiled. I thanked her before she headed towards the back.

I sat back in the booth, pulling out my book before looking out the window at the small town as people bustled around. I smiled watching a little boy skip down the sidewalk with his mother before turning to my book, allowing myself to get lost in it as I waited.

Unfortunately for me though, my peace didn't last long as a body slid in the seat across from me. I peeked over the top of my book, dark green eyes staring back at me. A guy who looked to be a few years older than me sat with a small smirk on his face, his eyes roaming my own as I slowly lowered my book.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing sat over here all alone?" He spoke, resting his chin in his hands as his elbows rested on the table between us. I immediately didn't like this guy much, not only did he interrupt my reading, but the cocky look in his eyes was slightly off putting.

"Just reading... C-can I help you...?"

All he did was smile and shrug.

"Blake. What's your name?" He held out a hand. I glanced at it warily, slowly putting my own in his much sweatier one.

"Wren."

He grinned, slightly pulling me forward and kissing my knuckles as his grip on my hand tightened slightly when I tried to pull back.

"Well Wren, what are you doing here all alone? If you're lonely you're more than welcome to join me and my buddies."

That was when I glanced around, catching sight of who I assumed were his friends sat at a table on the other side of the diner watching us. They all had a slight scruffy look to them and looked just as uninviting as their friend who still had a firm grip on my hand.