JAKE: ARCADE

This book got to 2.1k reads!! Thank you so much to everyone who thought this book was worth their time. I'm genuinely sorry I don't update more but hopefully you enjoy the things I do manage to publish.

Also, let's just imagine you're a spy or mafia or whatever dangerous job you wanna think of in this.

Inspired from the song 'Arcade' by Duncan Laurence

~Y/n's POV~

Here I am.

Waiting for Jake to come through that door. Of course, I already know that he'll knock on that door in exactly 38 seconds. But still, I anxiously wait for him.

Recent developments have made my decision clear. I've been mulling this over for months, trying to find loop holes, hoping for a different answer than the one I already calculated. But no, it's exactly what I calculated, because I'm never wrong. Oh how I wished to be wrong this once.

Everyday our enemies are getting closer to finding me. Who I am, where I live, and most importantly, who I love. That's why I have to break up with Jake. I convinced myself that I could protect him. That somehow maybe they would never find me. Deep down though, I think I always knew. I tried to drag this day out but eventually it had to come.

I get pulled out of my spiral by the knock at the door. It's time I guess. I open the door and immediately get pulled into a hug by Jake. I hug him back and close my eyes. Somewhere in the back of my head, I tiny voice speaks.

You will never be able to do this again. It's not too late to back out.

But I know I have to do this. I would rather have Jake live from afar then to have him die up close. This is the way it has to be. I pull away from the hug and give him a tight smile.

"Hi, I'm glad you're here." I state.

"I'm glad I'm here too! Why did you call me though? Not that I mind but, is something wrong or..?" He trails off. My smile fades but I try to still sound upbeat as I say,

"I wouldn't say that.. I just wanted to talk to you." He looks confused but still goes along with it.

"Oh, okay then.." He maneuvers around me and plops on the couch, still looking happy. Too bad I have to ruin that.

I follow him but stay standing. There's no way I'd be able to do this in close proximity of him. Jake seems to catch my behavior and slowly sobers into a nervous yet serious mood.

"So.. what'd you wanna talk about?" He nervously asks.

Just rip the bandaid off

"I'm breaking up with you." I blurt out. Jake just looks stunned for a few seconds before snapping back.

Okay this is good. Familiar. I expected this. If I treat this as a mission it'll be easier. Denial will come after shock.

"This is a joke right? I've seen those YouTube pranks trending. You're not funny you know, but it was a good try." He tries to laugh it off but soon stops once he sees I'm not laughing as well.

"No, it's not a joke. I'm serious." Anger is next.

"Are you kidding me? You're not serious. You are joking!" He slightly raises his voice. I brace myself.

"I'm breaking up with you." I repeat myself. What else can I say? There's nothing to say.

"What?!" He explodes, "What about all the "love" you saved, huh? Or did you forget our promise?" His words bring back a memory so vivid I have to briefly close my eyes from the reminder. Our promise we made. To always love each other and save our love from when we're away from each other.

This is a mission. This is a mission. This is a mission.

It has to be this way. Leave emotions out of it.

"I spent all the love I saved." I say, acting robotic. Forcing my thoughts and feelings out of this.

"What, so this is just it? You're telling me we were always a losing game?" Jake asks.

"If that's how you want to see it. I mean, really, what did you expect? You're just a small town boy in a big arcade."

"What does that even mean?!" Jake desperately exclaims. I shrug, as if that's an answer.

Quietly, Jake mutters to the ground, "I guess I was too naive. I got addicted to a losing game."

I feel my heart shatter. Pure want and rage claw at my brain. Trying to get in. To back track. To erase all of the damage I've done. But it's too late. Still, my insides scream at me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

My heart seems to scream, trying to get out of the cage I locked it in.

It is better this way.

I have to remind myself

It. Is. Better. This. Way.

"Oh, all I know..." Jake trails off.

"All I know..?" I urge him.

He finally looks up and makes eye contact but I wish he hadn't. It would've been so much better if he hadn't. He looks up at me, with teary eyes, and shatters the small pieces of my heart that are left.

He hurts me the way I've hurt him. With words so sharp and deep, they go straight through you.

"Loving you is a losing game."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

That's all folks. I'm sorry for the angst but like the song was too goooodddd. I promise I'll try to do more fluffy songs for the remaining members. Also if you enjoyed this, please vote and maybe comment a suggestion for what you wanna see? It would help me out a lot. Thank you for reading. Have a great day/night