Preparing for the war

".....Ofcourse Kaikey is ready to extend their support for us. I am trying to get support from Dwarka too. If a strong kingdom like Dwarka is ready to lend us support, Kulinda may even give up the idea of war and then we may lend them few villages near the border to settle the dispute, right?" Sudeshna could see the ministers pondering over the idea. She was trying her best to avoid this war, because deep down she knew, her wish of getting her son married a second time was behind this war. She considered herself responsible for this, but was facing this difficult situation bravely.

"What about the temporary soldiers we were recruiting Yuvraj?" Shvetketu asked. "Around thousand young men, who were traditionally farmers, but were not able to earn much profit are under training as temporary soldiers" Shvet answered. Dark circles had formed under his eyes all credits to sleepless nights. His usual grin had faded, but the shine in his eyes was still the same.

"Any news from Kumar Shankh? Does he need more help for guarding the border between Matsya and Kulinda?" Sudeshna asked. "No new news as of now Maharani. He is probably returning tomorrow" Shvetketu answered. Shvetketu was about to ask another question, but a soldier entered the court running and panting. "Maharani... Maharani!" All the courtiers rose on feet, due to the sudden disturbance.

"Yuvrani is injured! She is bleeding!" The soldier announced. "What? Take us to the place! Immediately!" Shvet ran behind the soldier, his heart beating rapidly and lips praying for his wife to be fine. She was eight months pregnant now. Even after her father's repeated letters, calling her to Anga, she has decided to stay back in Matsya, to do her duties as the kulvadhu and Yuvrani of the kingdom.

When Shvet and others reached her chamber, she was seated on the bed, almost unconscious, blood spread all over her clothes. The vaidyaas were trying to stop the blood flowing from the huge wound on her left arm. "Is she okay? How did this happen?" Shvet settled besides her on the bed, gently touching her wound. "Were all the soldiers sleeping??" Shvetketu asked glaring at the servants and soldiers present.

"I am sorry to interrupt. But, it was an attack" Ardhika said gaining everyone's attention. "What? What are you talking about? An attack on the palace?" Sudeshna held her arm and made her face herself. "Tell them Ardhika, tell" Vedangi murmured, her eyes still closed, Ardhika nodded positively. "After the medicine class, we were returning to Yuvrani's chamber, when she saw few people entering the palace through the restricted area, the small opening near the garden area which is rarely used. On questioning those men said that they were spies sent by Maharani Sudeshna and hence were entering from restricted area" .

"No! They weren't my spies!" Sudeshna protested. "Yuvrani questioned them more and with each question they grew more agitated. Finally when Yuvrani asked them to come with her to Maharani, they attacked us with knives and daggers. We dasis tried our best to protect Yuvrani and stop those men, as we were in restricted area, not much soldiers were present there. Yuvrani tried to run, but was not able to go further, due to her condition. Before our soldiers could arrive, the men flew away" Ardhika narrated with lowered gaze, caressing the bandaged wounds on her hands and forehead.

This was a shocker for everyone present in the chamber. "They were spies from Kulinda Nath! They spoke in a dialect famous in southern Kulinda" Vedangi murmured, tired due to the blood loss. Shvet caressed her head and exchanged concerned glances with Sudeshna and Shvetketu.
************************************
"We are not going to tolerate this! These people have dared to attack the royal family and they would pay for it!" Sudeshna paced in her chamber, angry about the insult done to her kingdom. "Mata but how can we assume that the attack was from Kulinda just because they were speaking in regional dialect? This could be a plan of some another enemy to inforce the enmity between us and Kulinda!" Shvet protested.

"Yes, Bhabhishree. What Shvet is saying makes sense" Shvetketu said. "Yuvraj, after I got to know about the incident, I went to the place and found these" a man in early twenties handed Shvet some gold coins, which had the seal of Kulinda imprinted on them. Shvet glanced at those coins and passed them to Sudeshna and Shvetketu. "Good job Karthik" Shvet patted his back, "Mata, let me introduce him to you. He is Karthik, son of Sadashiv Mahoday, the same Sadashiv who tried to do fraud with migrants fund" (Read 'Sadashiv or Chandan' for reference) Karthik glanced at Shvet and then smiled politely.

"He is in charge of the 1000 temporary soldiers we are training" Sudeshna smiled and nodded positively. "So, my sister's assumption was true. Kulinda sent their spies to our palace, who dared to attack the kulvadhu of our kingdom! A kulvadhu is the respect of family,right? They had tried to attack the respect of Matsya" Keechak spoke, making Sudeshna more furious.

"Mata even if they had attacked, we should not immediately think of revenge. The heir of our kingdom is going to be born within a month, we can't risk his/her life" Shvet protested. "If we don't take revenge it will reinforce their ego Shubhr!"

"Mata please try to understand, Vedangi would step in the month of her pregnancy next week, we can't risk her or our child's life!" Sudeshna seemed thoughtful. She glanced at Shvetketu, asking for his opinion. Shvetketu nodded positively indicating, what Shvet was saying was correct. She then glanced at Keechak, her brother, who nodded negatively indicating that revenge must be taken.

"Fine Shubhr! I need time to think about this and a meeting with ministers too. As of now, you all may retire to your chambers, take care of putravadhu" She said.
************************************
"Did you all hear what the spy was telling? There was a direct attack on her and you all still support her decision of staying there?" Vrushali gazed out of the window. Karna, Supriya, Shon and Bhanumati sat distressed. "I wonder why didn't anyone from Matsya inform us about the incident, we are Vashu's family afterall" Supriya whined.

"But Vrushali, our first duty as her parents is to support her decisions, isn't it? She is doing her duty as a kulvadhu and a Yuvrani, should we stand by her!" Karna expressed. "Nath aap bhi jante hai! (You must also be aware) if this would have been a normal situation, I would have been the first person to support her decision. But today she is pregnant, she is carrying her child"

"I completely understand that she wants to do her duty as a Yuvrani, but protecting her child is also her duty, isn't it?" Vrushali questioned, her eyes glassy, concerned for her child. "Vrushali jiji" Bhanumati kept her hand on Vrushali's shoulder, "Don't worry! Me and Supriya would try to do something, we would try to convince Bhargavi" both the women exchanged positive assuring nods.
************************************