Kyu hai Raat Andheri?

Thanks to the cold weather that Vedangi wasn't feeling suffocated in the closed palanquin. The party was moving secretly and silently from the woods as the enemy or their spies may be hidden around. Shvet was on a horse besides Vedangi's palanquin, Bhairav was ahead guiding the party and Karthik was at the tail. The border of Hastinapur was just couple of hours away.

Vedangi wiped the sweat on her forehead and picked up a tumbler of water, when one side of the palanquin fell down and a loud scream was heard. She bent to open the curtain of the palanquin, "Dont open it and don't step down until I ask you" Shvet warned her from outside and slashing of swords was heard. Vedangi's breath rose, she held her bump tightly and grabbed her dagger.

A large sword pierced the curtain, Vedangi shifted to the other side on time, preventing any harm . Loud scream of a woman was heard from outside. Giving in to her anxieties, she opened the curtain and stepped down. The scene in front made her go weak in her knees. A battle was going on between Matsya and Kulinda. 'Who informed the people of Kulinda about our location?' She gazed around looking for her people.

The bloodshed everywhere made her feel pukish. She held a nearby tree and tried to stand on her feet, but a running soldier hit her arm and unfortunately she fell on her stomach, screaming aloud in agony.

'What if anything happens to my child? '

Supriya and Ardhika came running from their palanquins, kicking every soldier who tried to stop them. "Priyaai! I fell on my bump priyaai! Please please save me" she held Supriya's hands. Supriya slapped her forehead. A heavily pregnant woman falling on her bump meant there were high chances of danger to the child. Ardhika and Supriya made Vedangi stand on her feet, Bhairav hurried to help them and took her to a comparatively secluded place.

From nowhere a soldier came running with a sword, but his leg slipped and the sword hit Vedangi's knee and not her bump. Vedangi covered her mouth aa to not scream aloud. The ache in her stomach was worsening and this wound made her practically unable to walk. Bhairav placed his sword on the soldier's neck, "Why are you people attacking like cowards? If you have guts, then fight like real warriors". The soldier smirked, "People who attacked our princess without first are are speaking about guts. You people are cowa-" before he could complete his sentence, Bhairav slashed his throat.

Bhanumati informed Shvet about Vedangi's condition and he came running. Supriya informed "Yuvraj! Yuvraj I think this is labour pain. We need to take her to a safer place" Shvet pulled his hair in frustration. "Yuvraj, I take the responsibility to take Yuvrani and all other women back to Matsya safely" Bhairav said with determination. "Just look at her condition, we can't take her back to the capital, we need a safe place immediately" Bhanumati retorted, patting Vedangi's head.

"Our child would wait till this skirmish gets settled. First show this coward soldiers of Kulinda that people of Matsya never accept defeat" Vedangi said panting. Shvet held her palm into his, "Around 5-7 kilometres from here, there is a very small fortress, almost broken, but our soldiers are present there. We would take you to that fortress, stay strong till then, okay?" Shvet said wiping his own tears. Wiping her tear stricken face, Vedangi nodded positively, her vision blurry due to the pain.

"Yuvraj! We have injured many of them. This is the right opportunity, we should take Yuvrani immediately to the fortress. I will bring a palanquin" Bhairav informed and went to search for a palanquin. "Yuvraj. Our soldiers are heavily injured, they won't be able to lift the palanquin for long" Ardhika said with lowered gaze. "Soldiers can't lift it, but some other people can" Supriya spoke with shine in her eyes. Bhanumati, Ardhika and Shvet stared at her with confusion.
************************************
Vedangi sat in a small palanquin holding her bump, blood smeared over her clothes and her hair matted. The palanquin was supported by Shvet, Ardhika, Bhairav, Supriya and Bhanumati took turns to support it, due to their age. Tears ran down Vedangi's eyes, seeing the love these people held for her and her soon to be born child. She chanted the name of every God she remembered for the protection of her child and her people.

When the party reached the fortress it was almost midnight and the fort was covered with a shawl of darkness. Supriya and Bhanumati took Vedangi to a dusty room in a corner. Messages were sent to Matsya and Hastinapur informing about Vedangi's labour pain. Shvet had deployed the available soldiers to guard the fortress. Ardhika was roaming in the nearby streets looking for a dasi, who would help in delivery and for a priest who would note the astrological details and time of the child's birth.

Bhanumati placed Vedangi's head on her palm and kept wiping the sweat, Supriya massaging her hands staring at the darkness that had began to fade by now. She remembered the night almost two decades ago, when Vedangi was born, the night of Sharad poornima, when she had held Vedangi for the very first time. Shvet stood near the door, his lips chanting the name of Ganesha. Though his eyes and ears were vigilant, searching for potential danger.

Vedangi let out a loud scream, dizziness overcoming her senses.
************************************
Hey, my lovely readers,the next part is here.
Too much drama happening, right?
Hope you all liked reading it, do let me know through your comments.
They are much appreciated ❣️.