Chapter 7: An Unexpected Loss

Zelda and Hoz continued their journey to Kakariko Village, marking approximately the midpoint to their destination of Hateno Village. Before Zelda was freed from Calamity Ganon, travelers headed to Kakariko Village took the long road around to the south and east. The road leads travelers south near the Great Plateau, abutting the southern edge of Hyrule Field, and then east along the Forest of Time. After crossing the Hylia River, continuing due east on the road along the southern bank of the Squabble River, travelers pass through the tall mountains of Dueling Peaks.

The Dueling Peaks, situated in the Necluda region, form a narrow canyon pass at its base, through which the Squabble River runs from the Dueling Peaks' entrance on its west side and exits to its east side. A narrow road continues east along the same southern bank of the Squabble River. The Dueling Peaks are tall, majestic mountains running along the western edge of Necluda, the region home to Kakariko and Hateno Villages. There are two sides to each peak; starting with the foothills on each side, then gradually increasing in elevation. There are grasslands at lower elevations of the mountains filled with many species of animals: Pink Herons, Mountain Goats, Mountain Bucks, Grassland Foxes, and others. At the higher points of the grasslands, the terrain changes to solid rock with a steeper pitch as one ascends further up the mountains. There are few trails leading to the mountains' peaks; this typically requires one skilled in mountain climbing to complete the ascent to the top. At the summits, each peak's top points in the direction of the other peak. The southern peak is higher in elevation than the northern peak. The edges of each peak are shaped like a fist, as if each peak was fighting, or dueling, the other. This is where the peaks get their name.

After exiting the narrow canyon pass of the Dueling Peaks to the east, travelers come to a bridge, Big Twin Bridge, heading north across the Squabble River. Across the river, heading north on the road, travelers will find Dueling Peaks Stable, part of the stable network throughout the land. Continuing north crossing Kakariko Bridge over Lake Siela, travelers navigate east on a road heading higher into the mountains. The road eventually turns north and snakes through a narrow gap in the mountains before reaching the eastern entrance to Kakariko Village. This long road to reach the village takes approximately two days to travel.

Before the Calamity, a shorter road leading up the Rikoka Hills and Sahasra Slope existed. During Zelda's one hundred year imprisonment with Calamity Ganon, a lone Guardian took up residence on the road at Sahasra Slope. Over one hundred years, it killed travelers and destroyed the road, causing travelers to eventually abandon the route and take the long road to the village. Five years ago, Link destroyed the Guardian during his adventure to free Zelda from Calamity Ganon, and opened the route to travel once more. After the Calamity, Zelda hired the Hudson Construction company to rebuild the road from Rikoka Hills to Kakariko Village. Within 6 months, the road opened to travel, cutting the journey to half a day.

With the sun angling to the west just after midday, Zelda and Hoz continued southeast on the road up into the Rikoka Hills. While parts of the hills have larger inclines, the road follows a gradual incline leading higher in elevation. The two Hylians passed a small field where the notorious Guardian once "protected" the area. Continuing higher in elevation, the two came to Sahasra Slope, the highest point on the western side of Kakariko Village.

Zelda, pulling back on the reins of Storm, slowed her to a stop. Hoz could hear the neigh sound of Storm in the background, so he turned his head to see Zelda coming to a stop, and aggressively yanked back on his horse's reins. His horse slowed to a trot while Hoz guided him with the reins to change direction, heading back toward Zelda.

Confused, Hoz asked, "Zelda, why are we stopping?"

Zelda, who was staring out at the natural beauty of the terrain, snapped back and spoke, "What? Yes, Captain. I heard you. I need a moment before we continue. I need to gather my thoughts before heading into the village."