Chapter Thirty-Seven

—First Person POV.—

The air was thick with the earthy scent of moss and the whisper of leaves in the gentle evening breeze—beside me, my two companions follow suit and the warmth of dusk poked through the leaves above.

The forest had a certain enchantment in the fading light and my voice seemed to echo through the trees.

There's a winding path before us, yet it was only my eyes that could see it and I shifted to clench my fist—the blood having dried to my skin and creating cracks with the action.

I had nagged the two to venture deeper into the woods and with a short amount of bickering, they had followed with the promise I would explain once we got there.

Out of the corner of my eye, Eijiro is tending to his nails—the more sharpened ones that survived the purging now drenched in the dark liquid of the Nomu left far behind us.

His fingers pick idly at the blood stuck beneath them, slitted eyes flickering up every now and then to either avoid a tree or make sure he wouldn't trip over any roots.

Thankfully, the light of dusk is still crawling up over the horizon when we came up to a cave nestled into the mountain's rocky base.

The entrance was draped in lush vines and hidden beneath a canopy of ancient trees—its mouth beckoned to us like a secret whispered by the forest itself.

"Really?" Katsuki deadpans as I trot forward, using a hand to raise up the greenery hiding away the opening and presenting a proud smile on my features "Yes, really." I remark, beckoning them over with a blood-coated hand.

The Barbarian rolls his eyes and trots forward with the Dragon in tow and a scaled hand reaches out to lift the vines higher so Katsuki and I could enter before him.

With a short "thank you" to the redhead, I slipped inside, where the atmosphere shifted dramatically into a more humid tone—the warm air being trapped back inside just as Eijiro drops the greenery again.

The vines worked as a door, shutting out all light and concealing the cave within—with a few steps, we venture further into the darkness where there revealed a chamber bathed in an iridescent turquoise light.

At the heart of the cave lay a familiar tranquil lake, its waters shimmering with a soft, ethereal glow—the light filters across the rocks above and casts a low sheen upon the surface.

A small waterfall tumbled from the far rocky wall, its gentle cascade adding a soothing melody to the surroundings.

Moss-covered stones boarder the pool, forming a natural, rustic lounging area.

I exchange a glance with the Dragon beside me before hurriedly kicking my boots off—my hands idly lifting the hem of my shirt overhead and tossing it away without a care.

And just as I'm removing my undergarments, I pause as my eyes briefly glance up to catch the bare back and side of my companions—completely oblivious to my eyes and working to undress themselves.

My heart is thrumming against my rib cage, loud and fast in my ears.

'What the fuck,' I internally repeat, tearing my gaze away just as Katsuki steps into the waters first—the turquoise hue casting over his muscular body and painting shadows along his skin as he moved.

'We've bathed together so many times before, why is this time different??' My thoughts scream with questions and I'm snapped from my mind when Eijiro's voice flickers through the air with concern on his tongue.