Chapter Fifty-Six

—First Person POV

—First Person POV.—

My ears buzz with the constant white noise of wind rushing past.

Eijiro's wings bat harshly with urgency—propelling his form forward through the skies at an alarming pace that made the thick huffs escaping his nostrils understandable.

It's easy to notice the moment he had finally started to slow down, the crimson appendages opening wide into a glide that allowed me to finally take a moment to look over the edge of the colossal beast.

Below, the forests had grown into a taller greenery, clearly thriving more compared to the other regions I had witnessed.

And when my eyes flicker up, it doesn't take me long to notice the large mountains growing near—rock rimming the wooded areas with thick smoke seeping from the numerous volcanos presented.

There's a murmured "Woah.." that escapes my lips before the flicker of steam catches my attention from the corner of my eye.

I turn, watching the light clouds drizzling off of crimson scales as those golden eyes crane back to look at me—a grumble flutters from his jaws and I fix a hand onto the satchel strap across my chest.

It takes my mind a moment to catch on to the distant chime of music, accompanied by crowds of thunderous cheers that became louder with each passing second.

"Do you know where he's going to be?!" I call out, feeling my stomach lurch upwards as the Dragon started his descent to the world below.

His throat rumbles with a hiss—the response quickly brushing over my ears as smoke grew over scales and enveloped us, shrinking Eijiro's body and allowing him to pass through the mass of leaves.

Those large wings close for a moment and I duck my head to avoid getting possibly clotheslined by a branch.

I catch the sound of a few stray branches splintering from his form—despite having shrunken, he still managed to break open the hole in the thicket, leaving many leaves to fall directly afterwards.

My head spins as his crimson appendages open up again, webbed wings working like a parachute that slows out the dive and elevates us upwards slightly.

And the air escapes my lungs as we come to a rigid stop—the sounds of bark snapping as his claws sink into the side of a tree quickly grating through my head and causing my grip on his spike to tighten.

If that's even possible, I swear I would need to work the rest of my life and the next to repay just how many scales I've dug up at this point.

I internally grumble, hands now gently rubbing the crimson beneath my touch. Eijiro glances back at me, checking briefly before turning his attention in the direction of the cheers.

A long breath flares from his nostrils and his sinewy figure ripples beneath me—shoulders flexing back as he slowly moved down from the tree and quietly set his hind claws into the grass below.